If no Sea Gladiator, what replaces the Hawker Nimrod?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Fulmar had 8 x 0.303 later 4 x 0.50 mg, lots of ammo, twice the range of the F5/34. High top speed wasn't essential for it to shoot down torpedo bombers and patrol aircraft. You need the Sea Hurricanes to deal with the Me 110, the Seafire to deal with single seat fighters later on. My FAA floatplane MB2 would have been useful in Norway, a folding wing version ideal for Ark Royal and the Illustrious class carriers until supplemented by the Sea Hurricane and replaced by the Seafire.

My FAA floatplane MB2 would have been useful in Norway, a folding wing version ideal for Ark Royal and the Illustrious class carriers until supplemented by the Sea Hurricane and replaced by the Seafire.
Assuming it's not a Sea Hurricane or Seafire, whatever is replacing the Nimrod should cancel out the need for the Hurricane and Seafire.

Get rid of the Napier engine and your combined BP/MB sales team may have a chance for the MB2. Otherwise it's just too green a field. New, unproven aircraft firm fielding an unconventional design with an unproven engine. You'll get circle filed PDQ.

Last edited:
Except it arrives too late to replace the Nimrod. You still need the Sea Hurricane and Seafire later. I'm not talking about big production runs either.

Except it arrives too late to replace the Nimrod. You still need the Sea Hurricane and Seafire later. I'm not talking about big production runs either.
If your MB idea arrives too late, then why mention it as a replacement for the Nimrod? Aren't you arguing against yourself?

If the Nimrod is replaced by a single seat, retractable undercarriage, eight gun, monoplane fighter with folding wings such as the F5/34 I don't see the need to replace it with a Hurricane - Seafire maybe, especially once the folding wing and Griffon-engine variants come on board. For that matter, if we wait until 1937 and don't pursue the Fulmar concept, the replacement for the Nimrod could very well be a folding wing Hurricane or Seafire.

My idea for a fixed undercarriage FAA MB 2 requires Martin Baker to deliver them in 1939. It's possible if they are asked to tender for the FAA navy fighter rather than the RAF colonial fighter.

I love the diagrams! Yes I did wander right off into the 'what-if' bushes with that "square versus rectangular 990 sq. Ft. Elevators"notion!

I have so much to say about the QE2 Carriers/F35 cluster but this is not the time nor the place.

My idea for a fixed undercarriage FAA MB 2 requires Martin Baker to deliver them in 1939. It's possible if they are asked to tender for the FAA navy fighter rather than the RAF colonial fighter.
Ditch the Napier engine and you might have a shot. Otherwise Messrs. Martin, Baker, North (Boulton Paul) and Halford (Napier) will be hauled in front of the UK War Office to explain why their aircraft is broken down across the empire.
The Fulmar had 8 x 0.303 later 4 x 0.50 mg, lots of ammo, twice the range of the F5/34. High top speed wasn't essential for it to shoot down torpedo bombers and patrol aircraft.
No, but dependence on the Fulmar and non-folding Hurricanes in April 1942 almost cost Sommerville his fleet. If we replace the Nimrod before WW2 with a folding Hurricane, Seafire (or F5/34), we don't need the Fulmar's long range for fleet air defence, since the Hurricane can clear the skies of Italian and German strike aircraft and then with folding wings fill the hangars of Sommerville's carriers at Ceylon.

Last edited:
First Gloster F.5/34 (K5604) unarmed flies Dec 1937, 2nd Gloster F.5/34 (K8089) armed flies March of 1938,. Now you want to throw out the wing and landing gear (save the fuselage?) and redesign, build and test both, then put the resulting plane into production or order off the drawing board?

The first 38 Sea Gladiators were converted RAF machines and started reaching the squadrons for shore training in 1938, which rather points out the problem in picking planes where the prototypes don't even fly until late 37 or early 38.

The next order for Sea Gladiators was for 60 planes with a more extensive conversion. They went to sea on the HMS Courageous in May of 1939.

That is it 98 Sea Gladiators. Trying to pick another plane to build instead becomes very expensive due to the short production run. The tricker you get (folding wings) the more expensive it gets.

Because if not, then the F.5/34 would not exist or it would be much different since it was based on the Gladiator in the 1st place
It seems to me that F.5/35 retained only cockpit from Gladiator...

F.5/34 used an all metal monocoque fuselage. It used an all metal wing with stressed skin covering.

Aside from the canopy ( ) the only thing in common was that they both used a Bristol Mercury engine. The F.5/34 did use a two pitch prop instead of the fixed pitch props (several varieties) on the Gladiator.

My vote is to go from Nimrods to folding wing Hurricanes. Of if the FAA is hellbent on two seat fighters, it's Nimrods to Fulmars.
Chances of getting folding wing Hurricanes in 1939 and early 1940 are about zero. The RAF is going to suck up every Hurricane they can get their hands on and the problem is building enough Hurricanes, not redesign the wing again after going from fabric covered to all metal.
Please remember that the Fulmar itself was an interim fighter, meant to go into production quickly being based of the unsuccessful P.4/34 light bomber. By some point in 1938 the admiralty was looking at designs for the Griffon powered plane that would turn into the Firefly. This was early in the planning stages and the formal requirement (after looking at proposals from several companies) wouldn't be put out until the summer of 1940.

So in 1938 you have the 4-6 year old Nimrods that need replacement, the Interim Fulmar that won't reach squadrons until 1940 and the planned/hopped for fighter with the griffon engine (or two seater with Sabre?) that won't show up until 1941/42?? and what they are looking for is something to tide them over until the Fulmar show up, not replace the Fulmar or tide them over until the Fulmar replacement/s show up.

The Sea Gladiators don't actually delay any of the other programs, especially if the land Gladiators exist. You just tack a few more on the end of the production run/s and fit them with carrier bits and pieces and naval radios.

Alternately, you take the radial engine fighters and look at them as contenders for the FAA single seat fighter requirement. The Bristol Type 146 is too late and too slow. The Vickers Venom lacks the wing area, so keep the wings and bolt them onto a new centre section; replace the Aquila with a Perseus, so there should be no problem meeting the 1938/39 deadline; problem is its lack of development potential and if you do this then wouldn't it be better to make a folding wing Spitfire. The Gloster F.5/34 first flies December 1936, so yes plenty of time to add hook and catapult spools ready for service in 1938/39 so build instead of Sea Gladiator and Henley; you're looking at 260 fighters in 1939 so looks good; maybe you even convert some RAF Gladiators in 1938 in the interim to serve as fighter trainers. The MB2, flies late, hand built by semi-skilled workers, it has potential so build it instead of the Blackburn Roc at Boulton Paul; you have say 50 built in 1939 available for the 1940 Norwegian Campaign as float planes; you build another 85 in 1940 with folding wings available for us on FCS and CAM ships; they'd be fully recoverable and re-usable so no need for Hurricats.

In reverse, Float planes are not recoverable at sea (mid ocean) unless the sea state permits it. North Atlantic often had had seas that were too rough. Recovering ship also has to slow way down or almost come to a dead halt, not a good idea if submarines are in the area.
Float planes in Norway is not a good idea.
Spitfire V on floats with a Merlin 45 and running 14lbs boost(?) 1470hp (?) was rated at 251mph at sea level, 267mph at 5,000ft, 306mph at 15,500ft and 324mph at 19,500ft. time to 10,000ft 4.4 minutes and time to 25,000ft 12.3 minutes, Range at 200mph at 20,000ft was 336 miles.
Even with 100 octane fuel a Merlin III (or VIII) is not going to give you enough power to fight 109s if you are lugging around a set of floats.

as for the F.5/34, we have several sources/accounts saying it flew in Dec of 1936 and at least one saying it flew Dec of 1937 but all agree the 2nd prototype (with guns) flew March of 1938. Your choice, prototypes flew 3 months apart or 15 months apart. In any case, no armor and no self sealing tanks and no 1940 radio outfit. Total ammo was 2600 rounds?
No easy path for improved engine.
Replacing the Aquila engine with a Perseus is like replacing a R-975 Whirlwind with an R-1820 Cyclone G. If you want to make a plane out of bits and pieces look at the P-75

Looks like the Sea Gladiator wins.

It seems to me that F.5/35 retained only cockpit from Gladiator...
I meant that the process and experience of designing the Gladiator made the F.5/34 what it was- a sort of combination of old and new, and that if the Gladiator didn't exist then the F.5/34 would've been much different
A similar comparison can be drawn between the Hawker Fury and the Hurricane

Hi

The Gladiator's predecessor, the Gauntlet, had Dunlop air-operated brakes. The earlier Bristol Bulldog IIa had Bendix cable-operated brakes (probably also retrofitted to other Bulldogs in service to some extent), the Hawker Fury and Demon had Palmer hydraulic brakes. All of these were operated by foot pedals on the rudder bar I believe.

Mike

Fury and Hurricane have had much more in common construction-wise, their respective fuselages were constructed around the braced steel tube construction, that was wrapped with fabric. Gladiator was also made like that, while the fuselage F.5/35 was constructed as a stressed-skin construction, where duraluminium skin contributed to the rigidity. Add there new wing and empenage, and the end result is pretty much a brand new aircraft.
Granted, there was probaly no single piece that Hurricane shared with Fury either, apart from gauges and possibly bolts?

We could postulate a scenario where Gloster takes the complete fuselage of the Gladiator and them mates it with a cantilever wing - that might've sped up the whole business of designing a better fighter, and improve it's production figures...

Users who are viewing this thread