If the Rare Bear became a ww2 fighter.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Something said by the enemies: Group Captain W.G.G. Duncan Smth, D.S.O., D.F.C., in "Spitfire into battle", John Murray (Publishers), Paperback edition 2002, pag. 173-4:

"I returned to Lecce, as this airfield was only slightly damaged and I tought it would do very well as a second string, in case Grottaglie became overcrowded. After a pleasant meal of spaghetti with the Italian pilots, I took the opportunity of inspecting the Macchi 205s and a couple of Re 2001/5s (sic) I found parked near the flight offices. The Re 2001/5 s were fairly new to the Italian Air Force, and only a handful had been built. They had a wing shape very similar to the Spitfire, a powerful engine and were armed with four cannons (sic). Having had a dog-fight with one of them, I am convinced we would have been hard pressed to cope in our Spitfires operationally, if the Italians or Germans had had a few Squadrons equipped with these aircraft at the beginning of the Sicily campaign ot in operations from Malta. Fast, and with an excellent manoeuvrability, the Re 2001/5 was althogeter a superb aeroplane. Tough I didn't get a chance to fly one, I did manage to fly the Macchi 205 and the Me 109G. Neither of these aircraft measured up to the capabilities of the Re 2001/5 series in manoeuvrability or rate of climb. (omissis) It is a pity, however, that no Re 2001/5 survive to this day, because they were fine examples of the Italian engineering craftmanship."

At least Re 2005 was seen by a few Allied Pilots. But did the 36 Re 2005 built ( more or less as the TA 152, if my sources are right) have any impact on the war? Absolutely none. The only impact they had was to attract a huge attack on the Reggiane factory that was completely destroyed, and the same was made, aftre a couple of months, on the factories of G 55......

Hi Wuzak,

Since there were two Ta 152's left operational at the end of the war, both Ta 152C's if the blurb I read was accurate, I'd say if we were to compare the Ta 152 against the F8F, we'd SURELY be into 1946 - 1947, so the F8F-2 belongs there. The F8F was not deployed to the ETO in 1945 and, again, we would be looking at a later date.

I am of the opinion that the main reason so few Ta 152's were left operating was simple lack of spare parts combined with 1) no real maintenance crew training from the factory due to the deteriorating war situation and 2) attention from hordes of marauding Allied fighters around its operational area, meaning a Ta 152 on the ground wasn't all that safe unless VERY well hidden. High attrition very probably had little to do with the basic design of the Ta 152, which was no doubt robust and good. Tank started with his excellent Fw 190 and I have no thought that he suddenly became a bad designer. Quite the contrary, I assume he improved the Fw 190D series or he would not have made changes.

Perhaps the Re.2005 deserves its own thread. I am traveling for the holidays and will do this when I return home. It is one of the more attractive designs I have ever seen. Of course that G.55 / MC.202/205 were all good-looking aircraft. The Italians have a flare for aesthetic design and have produced some real beauties and a few very much the other way.

One man's beauty is another man's lack thereof.

It never obtained its full potential at Agincourt. It simply was not good enough. It was not a wonder weapon.

It could have been a game changer but was never optimised for an altitude of 4 feet, also there was a shortage of fuel at the time I believe, with all sides favouring a "more horse power from more horses" strategy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back