II B or not II B

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

mrf17

Airman 1st Class
Nov 16, 2009
Maryland, USA
Okay guys, a few questions for an upcoming 1/48 Douglas Bader project :
Can a Spitfire Mk I (Tamiya) be modeled into a Mk IIa without much difficulty? My research, what little I have done so far, indicates that other than a tiny fairing bulge, the two were identical. Also, Bader's Mk II when he was at Tangmere in spring of '41 seems to be done in dark earth, dark green and british sky with a black spinner. At this period (post BoB) was the Mk II underside sky or sea gray? Last, seat buckets for MK II... interior British Green or dark red Bakelite? I think the Bakelite was intro'd in late 1940, therefore installed on Bader's Tangmere bird.

Since these are specific question concerning a model build, I did not post in technical section. Thanks in advance for the help!
Mark

Fairly easy conversion. Outwardly, it'll need the small blister over the Coffman starter on the forward, starboard nose. The seat (not Bakelite, but a 'papier mache' composite of card pulp and resin) was the dark reddish brown, with a very dark brown, almost black, leather back pad. Seat harness the 'Sutton' type, in a 'buff' colour (colour of a manilla envelope), with brass eyelets and steel fastenings.
Colour scheme was Dark Green/ Dark Earth uppers, with 'Sky' lower surfaces. Spinner by this date was also 'Sky', with an 18 inch wide 'Sky' tail band. Code letters in Medium Sea grey, with 8 inch high black serial number.

Thanks, Airframes. Great info... especially about the seat. If you have any good photo references of the small blister (to house the Coffman starter) on the starboard cowling, please post them. About the British Sky: Was the fuselage band just a continuation the underside color , and was it the same hue as the spinner? I believe both questions to be affirmative, but have seen references and illustrations of white spinner, gray spinner and black.
Mark

Undoubtedly both the spinner and the tail band were of the same colour like undersides. So the answer to your questions is yes.

And the blister......

Attachments

• Spitfire Mk IA.jpg
    Spitfire Mk IA.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 163
  • Spitfire MkIIA.jpg
    Spitfire MkIIA.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 143
  • Spitfire Mk IIA.jpg
    Spitfire Mk IIA.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 155
  • Spitfire MkIIb.jpg
    Spitfire MkIIb.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Thanks Wojtek, saved me digging into my refs ! Here's a pic of a typical seat, photographed last week. (knew it would prove useful to someone!).

Attachments

• Duxford  May 2011 110.jpg
    Duxford May 2011 110.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 120
Glad I could support your great contribution to the forum my friend. :D

Outstanding info. Thanks for the pics. Once again, I'm amazed at the resources and quality on this net. I have a few items on the bench right now.. Bader's Spit is third in line. May move it up while the iron is still hot. I'll be posting two builds soon. Once again, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back