III./JG54, Black Friday, 29 Dec 1944...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Right guys, here's the info so far for the Typhoons, and a little on the Norwegian Spits. Rather than e-mail the whole lot to Dan, I thought it easier to post it here as a PDF, so all concerned in the 'production' etc can access it at their convenience.
I haven't got around to photographing the Typhoon and Spit models yet, but if you think this would help, let me know, and I'll do it later this week. Same for the Typhoon plans; as the skins are based on the Tempest, I left these out for now, but I can post them if required - just got to reduce them, as they're to 1/24th scale!!

Attachments

• Microsoft Word - Typhoons and Spitfire IX Details.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 1,156
This is what I have so far on Lt. Stouslands rig. Please advise of any alterations or changes I should make. I still have the mechanicals to do as well as the weathering etc. I changed the roundels, spinner as mentioned. Thanks

Attachments

• Lt Stousland 4.jpg
    Lt Stousland 4.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 98
  • Lt Stousland 3.jpg
    Lt Stousland 3.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 110
  • Lt.jpg
    Lt.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Nice work Merv! The only suggestion would be the yellow, wing leading-edge ID stripes, and the individual code letter beneath the nose. Don't know if it makes things easier, but not all of the Squadron's Spits had the broad-chord, pointed rudder. Bomb rack pylons were carried under each wing also, with the shackle points for a centreline bomb too.
Looks great so far, looking forward to seeing the finished beastie!

Going back a little I have copies of the combat reports from the Typhoons. Only three are on record but you might find them of interest.

Attachments

• FL Keyan Typhoon.jpg
    FL Keyan Typhoon.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 95
  • FO Huddard Typhoon.jpg
    FO Huddard Typhoon.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 96
  • FO Laurance Typhoon.jpg
    FO Laurance Typhoon.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 105
Beauty! It's possible the code letters are a little bit too small, but I'd have to check references again - smaller letters might have been used by the squadron, that is 24 inch characters, instead of the 36 inch 'standard' characters. Doesn't detract from it though, and it wouldn't be notciced anyway really, especially when moving.

OK, thanks mate. I'll just leave her the way she is. I'm starting the template for the Typhoon tomorrow. I toned down the spinner stripes a little and made them a little thinner. 8)

Spinner stripes, on the Typhoons? Don't know of any on the squadrons concerned. In theory,being 2 TAF, all the Typhoons should have had black spinners, but some still had 'Sky'. The Norwegian Spitfires had the National Colours as stripes on the Sky spinners in most cases, but these appear to have been painted out when the spinners were re-painted black.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back