IJA Secret Intelligence Team at Chofu

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Aaron.
My translation will continue for the rest of articles but someone might be interested in the following information from the author's memo.

Two Betty Bombers Peace Envoy painted in white with green cross markings.

Call sign:
JBACY
JBACZ

Radio frequency:
6970khz for the communication by radio phone with the allies
8915khz for the communication by telegram with Manila airfield

Attachments

• Robert_Magnus_2BettyBomberPeaceEnvoyJapaneseWW2.jpg
    Robert_Magnus_2BettyBomberPeaceEnvoyJapaneseWW2.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 87
Doh Itashi Mashite, Wayne-san!

You are welcome, Wayne and thank you very much for your reading that always encourage me for my next step.

You are welcome again, Wayne and Glider.

These may look special because almost records during the war had been destroyed when the war was over.
I heard many rising smokes to burn the documents were observed here and there for 2-3 days at the time.
However, not a few officers, soldiers and engineers took memorandum beside their own memory.
This is now helpful to know what happened then.

Recently, I have found out another testimony by a former scientist.
He refers to the Japanese development of nuclear(more comprehensively than atomic) weapons and a SF-look 'Murder Ray(not laser but an artificial thunder)' etc. Taking opportunity, I would like to introduce them too.

Please look forward to my future translation.
Thanks.

The death ray development project of Japanese army

[Prologue]
[Chapter 1 Motive of Death Ray Development]
[Chapter 2 Account of Militant Nation Science Boy Hard Struggle Which Yearned after the herculean strength light]
2-1 United States Also Wanted Manchuria?
2-2 Aunt Came from United States!
2-3 You Should Not Know. -- Mystery of 2.26 Coup d'etat
2-4 Large Miscalculation of General of Far East Nazis Chiang Kaishek
2-5 Ear is to World! Shortwave Receiver Completion
2-6 Big Japan-Soviet Union small war NOMONHAN
2-7 The Second Europe Great War is Very Strange!
2-8 Imperial year 2600! -- Science vs Myth
2-9 New Arms! Humanity Arms Study Group Inauguration
2-10 Footstep of Pacific War Which Came Near --
2-11 Japan-U.S. Outbreak of War! Pearl Harbor is Attacked by Surprise.
2-12 Mystery of Phantom Battleship HIRANUMA!
2-13 It is Reform of the Educational System! Learn to (Hitler's)Jugend.
2-14 Turning Point Which was not Told to People
2-15 It Started at Last! Student War Mobilization
2-16 Carrier-based bomber Tenzan we made
2-17 Cultivation of War Scientific Study Staff Begins
2-18 It is Death Ray! To Army Noborito Research Institute
2-19 Unit 731, Nakano School, and Noborito Research Institute
2-20 Fear of Special New Type Bomb Which Comes Closer
2-21 Ghost was Seen in a Town like Ghost.

Scientists' point of view is often funny because there are some who don't care who dies or alive or his nation win or lose.
I have ever heard that a professor of a local university who lived in the suburbs of Tokyo did not know when the Pacific War broke out and ended.

Having read above articles, however, I can say contents are true as I did not feel any sense of incongruity for the contents.
I'm going to launch another thread.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Very interesting Shinpachi. I will wait patiently for new thread. I did sea a television show a year or so ago that talked about a hi-energy microwave weapon that was being developed and was quite far along at wars end. The intent was to use it against the invading soldiers. It worked just like a microwave oven and from what they said on the show it was very close to being operational from what the U.S. army found of it.

Thanks for your interesting news, Aaron.

He writes,
".....Because all scientists in the Noborito research institute(official name: 9th Technology Research Institute of Army) had feared the prosecution as a war criminal, all research facilities and data were completely destroyed by themselves.

....The destroyed facilities were 1) High voltage generator, 2) High powered ultraviolet rays irradiation device and 3) Micro wave oscillator"

It would have been the distinguished services by the U.S. military that they had clarified the micro wave device after the war.

Attachments

• y_1134_m.jpg
    y_1134_m.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
hi shinpachi. thank you so much for those translations. I just had time to read them. this is an incredible thread and has been very enjoyable to read. could you let me know the name of the japanese book/publication that was putting these out? I'd like to see if I can purchase a copy for my archives.

doomo arigatoo gozaimasu, shinpachi-san.

A former Imperial GHQ staff Eizou Hori(1913-1995) describes the secret intelligence team in his book like this.
Eizo_Hori.jpeg

pp 275-277
"Intelligence War by an Imperial GHQ staff"
Eizou Hori (published by Bungei Shunju in 1996)

7. IJA Special Intelligence Unit went underground

In July 1949, I was interrogated by the Allied GHQ about the Japanese-side possibility of decrypting the US-side cipher to read communication during the war. Even in November 1985, I received an abrupt visit of a US historian, Mr C. As the US-side seems to be still interested in this matter, I have to explain a bit more.

As I already mentioned, the unit for decryption was the IJA Special Intelligence Unit (特情部 = Tokujohbu). At the period of ending the war, the main force of this unit was evacuated to a nursing home building "Yokuhu-en" in Takaido district from Tanashi district of Tokyo City. We were intercepting radio broadcasting from enemies and neutral countries days and nights, so we had the chance to know "Japan decided to accept the Potsdam Declaration" in the broadcast from Sydney on August 11 instantaneously. As this broadcast was also captured by our headquarters in Tokyo and one of our branch offices in Niigata, we understood that the time had come at last.

Unit Director Toshio Nishimura immediately gathered executives to show how we should cope with it. From the evening on the day, huge volume of data and records as well as machines for decryption were begun to be destroyed at all offices throughout the country for days before disbanding the 'Tokujohbu' unit. According to memorandum written by Lt Col Yukio Yokoyama who was in charge of planning and operation as Manager of section no.1, details were like this -

"All data for decrypting were incinerated without leaving any piece of paper and the black smoke covered the sky of Takaido district for 3 days. Machines were destroyed into pieces. A part of the cryptogram was buried in the deep ground. These were done so that the coming occupation forces were unable to clarify the role and work of Tokujohbu unit no matter how hard they might try to persue it. Furthermore, in anticipation of the future tracking investigation by the US military, not only the name of Tokujohbu itself was deleted from the organization table of IJA but also main staff names were deleted from the personnel list of the Army Ministry.

Completed all necessary treatments on August 15, Director Nishimura and most of staffs gathered in the backyard of Yokuhu-en building to listen to Emperor's speech on the radio. No sooner had it ended than Nishimura declared disband and all staffs left the building in order to go underground as previously scheduled."

Hereupon, the IJA Special Intelligence Unit, Japan's sole unit after many transitions, for the decryption and cryptography creation which was organized in 1921 as a joint study team of codes by the army, the navy, the ministry of foreing affairs and the ministry of communications had disappeared together with the Emperor's speech as if an Inca Empire without leaving a piece of paper. It was only 25 years history since its establishment.

02.JPG

03.JPG

Shinpachi-san, I discovered this thread of yours just a few days ago and found it most interesting. I give you great thanks for the time you spent in translation. This is the kind of history I like to see before it is gone. I just read the last pages while eating at the computer. The story was almost at the close and although I knew the end, I could not stop reading. All through the story, I felt as if I was there, watching. I will look for more of your history accounts and your excellent images. Thank you for your time.

Thanks, ed.
The army men were honest as not only some of them had been executed as class-A war criminals but left such testimonies about the secret intelligence team/unit like this while the navy men survived almost intact and told nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back