IJA Secret Intelligence Team at Chofu

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

picked them up last year - I recently posted them to figure out what the planes were in the background. The uniforms were really bugging me, as they didn't seem japanese.

Turns out, these are early Japanese self defense force pictures!

I wish we could figure out who the pilot was (is)...his expression and attitude is "pure fighter pilot". I wonder if he was a WW2 pilot?

Last edited:
Hi, Aaron! Thanks again for your reading.
I'm so happy you have enjoyed my translation very much!

Hi, proton45.
Thanks for your reading too.
The photos kaigunair posted are certainly of JMSDF as he points out.
I have looked details up to some web sites -

JMSDF borrowed 1 each of Grumman JRF-4 and 5 on October 18, 1955 and more 2 JRF-5s on November 25 totally 4 from the United States. All were called JRF-5 and used as a rescue float plane at 91st air squadron of Omura aviation unit of JMSDF. They were all replaced with UF-2 in 1961 to resign.

The pilot on the photos is still unknown.

Image link: JMSDF Shimousa on Hikoki-kumo

a35SHIMOUSAscrapGETA06.jpg

a35ShimousaAse-15.jpg

just thought I'd btt. can't wait for the next translation!

Oh Sorry, kaigunair!
My next translation will be article no.27 with the title "Jamming".

Enjoying a range of Aaron's beautiful photographs on this forum, I've forgot my time passing. It was a "Jamming" for me:)

Thanks kaigunair for pulling me back8)

Hi Aaron and my dear friends, here has come article no. 27 at last.
Sorry for my slow work.

Article No.27

Jamming
=======
Author: Mr. Teruo Miyoshi

From midnight of March 9 to early dawn of March 10 in 1945, Tokyo had a big air-raid by B-29s with enormous damage by the incendiary bombs over Johto district (present Sumida-ku and Kohto-ku).
In order to detect the trend of B-29s activities from Saipan direction, our army special intelligence study group located in Tanashi City of Tokyo was capturing the radio despatched from B-29s with 24-hour-system but they were unable to crack the code well.

(* The cities of Tanashi and Hoya were combined to Nishi-Tokyo City on January 21, 2001.)

At such time, our Base Commander ordered us to gather. Those who were called were Chief of Communication Room, Senior Sergeant of Communication Room, 1st Private of Technology, Sergeant Major and me. Seeing the members, it was hard for me to understand what our Commander thought about.

He told us -
"As you know well, B-29s despatch V-codes to adjust sensitivity of radio repeatedly soon after their take-off. Now, don't you have any good idea how to detect the frequency and disturb their radio communication by despatching powerful noise at the same frequency? After take-off, order and instruction to each ship by their leader is taken place by the radio only. So, If their contact is once disturbed, their command system will be confused with no doubt. If it's nighttime and bad weather, influence on their flight course is considered immense above all.

To use such a makeshift tactics is not necessarily my true intention but when the situation is like this today, I believe we have no other choice but carry it out. There will be objection from the special intelligence devision and its following counterespionage sections, saying jamming interfere their mission, as they are making daily efforts for explication of codes. But I think it is effective as a method for our whole military to carry out such tactics precisely and promptly that disturbs enemy's flight plan and leads our interception system advantageously. Therefore, in order to negotiate with the aviation headquarters, I request you to make up our basic plan within two days. Chief of Communication Room is a leader for the maneuvers summary and Sergeant-major is another leader for the technical side. This matter is treated as confidential and all responsibility belongs to myself. That is all."

The reason why Sergeant-major was appointed as a leader for the technical matter was he was a graduate of electricity class of a certain industrial high school.
I thought Base Commander's idea was theoretically effective but when we thought about the serious influence on our army radio communication by unexpected mistake, we were not only requested detailed perfect plan but never allowed any inconsistency on technical aspect. Also, I felt much responsibility about the fact that such a young boy like me was chosen as a member.

As we had no enough time to gather and discuss so often, using a KJ-method( KJ-Method - Mycoted ) which was once popular with our businessmen in the postwar, each member made up his own idea first to discuss together two days later. Our suggestion as a team was summarized generally as follows.

1. We shall order the crystal oscillator of the same frequency the U.S. planes use to a maker.
Delivery is requested as soon as possible. Order origin shall be the aviation headquarters.
(The approximate frequency was grasped by us then.)
(Note: When a piece of crystal is loaded a certain voltage, it generates coherent frequency. The quartz chronometer applies this principle.)

2. Timing for Jamming
We capture their V-codes plane by plane first during they are despatching them to adjust sensitivity and, when we have almost specified the total number of B-29s, we shall launch jamming.

3. For the counterespionage sections, the aviation headquarters explain the purposes of this operation well and ask their good understanding and cooperation.

4. Not awaiting the final approval from the headquarters, We shall begin remodeling the ongoing transmitter for this operation purpose immediately. In case of no approval after all, we stop the work at that point.

5. We newly order 2 sets of transmitter of high output. Until they are deployed, we shall use the remodeled equipment.

6. We shall send Senior Sergeant of Communication Room and 1st Private of Technology to a maker for 2 days to study and investigate the development. (The maker shall be the one 1st Private of Technology came from.)

7. The aviation headquarters shall place order for the maker with the special specification.

8. To execute this operation, when there is any complaint or opinion etc from the other communication or non-communication troops or any, they shall be requested to contact with the aviation headquarters.
Individual correspondence shall be prohibited.

9. This operation shall be handled as military secret and apply the penal regulations for the leak of secret.

10. The highest commander for this operation shall be our Base Commander.
The execution commander shall be our Chief of Communication Room and he decides the timing for jamming when it is thought necessary.

In the afternoon of the second day, we suggested our basic plan to our Base Commander.
"Good. I will check contents to add and correct within today. Prepare necessary copies by 10:00 tomorrow. It was a hardship."
Senior Sergeant of Communication Room, 1st Private of Technology and I scratched the stencil paper with an iron pen for Mimeograph to print the maneuvers summary. We worked hard almost through the night and handed copies to Base Commander through Chief of Communication Room next day. Base Commander soon went to the aviation headquarters in the afternoon.
He was young and always handled work so promptly that his adjutant would be very busy everyday.

By the way, Commander of the aviation headquarters at that time was Lieutenant General Lee. He is introduced on my article number 11.

In the evening of three days later, Base Commander gathered all staff in the base and explained the purpose of this operation along with its execution summary and the fact that this was the official order by the headquarters.

Some formations of B-29s which left Saipan and Tinian heading north for the mainland of Japan were interfered their communication about the flight course by our jamming. They lost direction above far offshore Enshu-nada(*far southern open sea from Nagoya) and, when they were circling there, our army fighter Toryus(*Ki-45 Nick) intercepted to achieve a great war-result. This was what I heard later.

Peaceful today, the islands of Saipan and Tinian are popular as a sightseeing spot but I don't think that so many of young generation are interested in the islands as a historical place of decisive battles during the war. Tinian, above all, is the island where the B-29s for Hiroshima and Nagasaki took off.

Though this is an additonal talk, I recently heard that an illegal religious organization in China"Ho-Lin-Ko(Japanese reading)" launches jamming from Taiwan against a Chinese communications satellite to disturb CCTV(Chinese Central Television) program. This communications satellite was launched by"long march 3" in 1998.

In addition too, it was largely reported on TV and newspapers etc about the guard relations for the World Cup in Japan last year but not so much about the jamming for communications. In May, 2002, the General Affairs Ministry established a security section that corresponds the radio interference and disturbance.

Recently, such an equipment that disturbs the communication by mobile phones is being sold in Tokyo and Osaka for twenty to sixty thousand JP-yen. This makes phone communication within three meters impossible. As this is also illegal, the General Affairs Ministry is said trying to grasp information.

/End of Article No.27

Attachments

• stencil_paper.JPG
    stencil_paper.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
You are welcome, kaigunair and Aaron.
Thanks for your reading.

Checking my posting dates, I am surprised it took more than one month to translate this time.
Thanks again for your waiting and good patience!

A fun thing for me will be to share information with the people who can understand it.
Thank you very much, Aaron, for your generous mind, always.
I appreciate it.

Attached image: A colorful temple in my neighborhood

Attachments

• DCF_0039SR.JPG
    DCF_0039SR.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 94

Users who are viewing this thread

Back