IL-2 videos

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Not bad Dave, I liked the "real" footage u threw in there, especially Galland showing off for the camera....

Thanks!

I'm still not decided if I like it or not...

I think it portrays what happened to the pilot, and gives the impression that he's hurt and fading in and out...but I guess you can only do so much with a .TRK and Moviemaker...

I might try and edit it some more... :|

I think you did an excellent job doing just that. I might be biast(spelling?) due to hearing about it for some time, but I can see the fading in and out and recalling memories as the grim reaper is coming to claim his prize.

All in all, job well done Bud. Keep up the good work......

Redbeard

Nice work Dave, you don't see many artsy type IL-2 vids out there. The only thing I have to critique on is crashing him into a forest. It really just displays the godawful forests that pervade the game...I would have preferred him crashing into something a bit more substantial. But hey, that's just my forestry bias showing, cool stuff! :D

Well... after viewing the vids (all of em), I'm reminded of just how weak my piloting skills really are.... now I'm bummed... But Davie.. very kewl indeed!
LOL...well, busting the heavies in a Fw190 is second nature for me. So the footage could help a person if they saw how effective drawing in at an angle can be. Also, at the end, you can clearly see what happens if you attack straight in from the 6...

Thanks for the props!

I think you did an excellent job doing just that. I might be biast(spelling?) due to hearing about it for some time, but I can see the fading in and out and recalling memories as the grim reaper is coming to claim his prize.

All in all, job well done Bud. Keep up the good work......

Redbeard
Thanks bud...like we were talking about today though, the ending still has me bugged...I need to redo it, I think.
Nice work Dave, you don't see many artsy type IL-2 vids out there. The only thing I have to critique on is crashing him into a forest. It really just displays the godawful forests that pervade the game...I would have preferred him crashing into something a bit more substantial. But hey, that's just my forestry bias showing, cool stuff! :D
Thanks man, it is rare to see an actual theme to an IL-2 vid outside of this forum. LesOfPrimus has made some great ones, and has a huge historical documentary in the works and I'm pretty sure that hasn't been attempted before.

As far as my movie goes, I was having a hell of a time just keeping that machine flyable. The engine was howling, the controls were damaged and I was caught in a vicious crosswind from the T-storm...all while keeping the effect that the pilot was wounded.

But I agree...the forest's trees really suck! And I thought I had made it clear of the trees in the field, realizing at the last moment that I was going to slide right into the edge of the forest...not what I had intended...

:lol:

Happens to me all the time, sometimes flying a P-40 like an AH-64 has its drawbacks, namely slamming into invisible trees.

The movie seemed like there was something missing.

So I did some editing to where you get a better idea of what was going through the wounded pilot's mind as he was fading in and out...

So here's the final version!

(also added to YouTube:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9Uo_N-TIMI)

Attachments

• Wars1.wmv
    26.1 MB · Views: 87
Thanks Dan...I think you'll know what I mean when I say I wasn't "seeing" the movie like it was in my mind's eye, that's why the re-do.

There are a lot of limitations to making a movie from IL-2 footage. So the actual footage helps the vid, I think.

Very nice job, GrauGeist! The music is so important to these shorts, and your fits very well.

Venganza

If I could be constructive for a sec Dave, why are certain parts stuttering??? Is it ur comp??? Reason I ask is that FRAPS allows u to change the FPS number to kind of eliminate it...

Sometimes that stutter gets me too.... Ive been able to eliminate it so far in the newest vid we've been workin on, except in the slo-mo shots.... Thats still frustrating me....

That stuttering drives me insane most the time.

I have Fraps set to max framerate, and the game's settings are high enough to allow hi-res, but not compromise the flow of the action. When the stuttering becomes most aparent though, is when I finalize the movie project...and there it is...

I'll sometimes take a track and review it in moviemaker (as an .AVI) just to be sure there's no hints of stuttering. If there is...back to the drawing board :(

If you look at one of the early "flashbacks" of the pilot, you'll see the stuttering ease up as two of the crippled bombers cease fire, just about the time the pilot opens up on the third. Environmentals combined with heavy gunfire will almost always do that. No cities/towns were within the area, so that wasn't contributing in this case, but there was a thunderstorm and two other Fw190s battling other bombers nearby.

Cannonfire and impacting bombs will also put a huge hit on the FPS...especially in an urban area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back