Images from WWI

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Graeme

1st Sergeant
May 31, 2007
First World War centenary - Wikipedia

Thought it would be nice to start a thread where people can post images from WWI - similar to the WWII picture threads.
To start...
Two Australians guard a captured Turkish sniper (if you can spot him)...

img361.jpg

This might interest folks looking at this thread. Sir Peter Jackson of "Lord of the Rings" and Wingnut Wings Models fame is collaborating with the Imperial War Museum to create a new film about the First World War. The film will comprise totally restored and updated footage from the conflict, together with recordings of interviews with veterans to get a first-hand perspective on the WW1 experience. The premier is scheduled in London for Armistice Day, 11 November, 2018.

This video gives a taster for what's in store...and I, for one, hope they release this on DVD because I think it's something I will want to watch over and over again:

View: https://youtu.be/vn6HrP_LTu8

Looks interesting Buffnut.....thanks.

First World War centenary - Wikipedia

Thought it would be nice to start a thread where people can post images from WWI - similar to the WWII picture threads.
To start...
Two Australians guard a captured Turkish sniper (if you can spot him)...

View attachment 480238
Centered between the two Aussies with Enfield rifles on left shoulders-- I can see his helmet, and his boots behind the leafy screen-assume he surrendered his rifle- wonder what make, cal. and configuration he was using?Not "on topic" here,but a great movie about the Aussies in the Boer War-- "Breaker Morant"- B&W, probably came out in the 1970's--

Turkish sniper rifle would probably be a Mauser not sure which one or if it would have had a scope. This probably from Gallipoli. Turks had the 1903 in 7.65mm
Snipers are not usually captured so the guards could be there to stop any instant justice. A sniper would usually quickly throw away his rifle if he felt he was going to be captured.
Turkey was a regional power so certainly a powerful enough country to have as an enemy or ally

The diminutive Arthur Vickers VC. Just over 5 ft tall...

Arthur Vickers - Wikipedia

img382.jpg

Being congratulated by a rather large Sergeant Patrick Burns just before attending a concert for wounded soldiers at Highbury Hall, Birmingham...

img381.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back