Images from WWI

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Anzac Day - Wikipedia

img588.jpg

Mastiffs and a carriage with a Maxim MG-- WW1 era. They are not German troops, are they French??
Actually i didnt realy study the pic that much, but yes, i do believe you are right. I think they are French troops.... No, scrap that rewind... It was a propaganda pic and they are, i believe, Belgium troops.

Last edited:
Not sure how I missed this thread, Graeme Graeme , but I've been enjoying it so far!

Here's a family photo of my Grandfather: Walter "Bud" Messecar, front row kneeling, second from the left - United States Army Cavalry. He had part of his foot shot off and in later years, was called back to active duty by the Army to be a guard at the Tule Lake internment camp during WWII

The majority of the men seen in this photo were Montana Cowboys.

wem_ww1.jpg

Last edited:
An interesting product of WWI, was the "Kettering Bug", which was literally a flying torpedo and the grandfather of cruise missiles.

It was developed late in the war and made it's first (and unsuccessful) flight in October 1918.
It had a payload of 180 pounds of explosives and a range of 75 miles, traveling at speeds of 50 miles an hour powered by a 40 h.p. De Palma 4 cylinder engine.

It was designed by Charles Kettering and Orville Wright consulted on the project. It was manufactured by the Dayton-Wright Aircraft Company and it's guidance and control system was built by Elmer Sperry.

By 11 November 1918, 45 Bugs had been produced and they continued to manufacture them after the war for testing and evaluation. None were ever used in combat.

Kettering-Bug-1918[720].jpg

Not sure how I missed this thread, Graeme Graeme , but I've been enjoying it so far!

Here's a family photo of my Grandfather: Walter "Bud" Messecar, front row kneeling, second from the left - United States Army Cavalry. He had part of his foot shot off and in later years, was called back to active duty by the Army to be a guard at the Tule Lake internment camp during WWII

The majority of the men seen in this photo were Montana Cowboys.

View attachment 502036
Apparently- if you were a Sergeant ( 3 rocker stripes) and above in the NCO ranks- you could also carry a sidearm, besides the Springfield Rifle. Possibly explains why the Sgt. has a different style ammo bandolier than the Pvts. with the wide web belt- this must have been before WW1-could it have been the campaign under Gen. Pershing to nab "El Bandito" Pancho Villa, along the Texas/Mexico border? Just wondering. I had a great uncle who was a 1st. Lt. in Pershing's unit at Fort Bliss, TX- served from 1910 to 1916- wish I had some fotos to share--

Returning on a Tank: Members of the 5th Canadian Mounted Rifles return from combat piled on a tank in this August, 1918, photograph. At the Battle of Amiens, where this photograph was taken, Canadians experimented with transporting infantry to the front inside the tanks, but carbon monoxide exhaust and the crippling heat left most of them vomiting and unable to fight.[Globe & Mail]

RVZ3ABQM4BF7LGPEITX5GLE7ZI.JPG

Soltan Reza Khan training Cossaks to operate a Maxim MG .

Fact 1: Soltan was equivalent to Captain in late Qajar era , higher rank was Yavar , lower rank was Naeb.
Fact 2: yes, you are right, he's next king, Reza shah.
Fact 3: he was also called Reza Shast Tir (60 rounds, or Reza Maxim , as photo says) cuz he was only Maxim MG trainer available at that time.

Attachments

• 250px-Rezamaxim.jpg
    250px-Rezamaxim.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 137

Users who are viewing this thread

Back