Images from WWI

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You had your walking wounded and your badly wounded and the will die soon so stick em full of morphine wounded which were left by the side.
Sadly you're not going to survive a serious wound for 7 hours.
The mental fortitude of a man to see that for hours on end never mind the combat must have been beyond our comprehension

I watch many of the History Channel and the Heroes Network TV shows- they feature both WW1 and WW2-actual film footage of the various battles. One thing I can never quite grasp- at the Battle of the Somme- where British General Haig ordered his troops "over the top" into no-man's land, and into the awaiting German machine guns- He was reportedly known by his troops after that blood-bath as "The Butcher of the Somme". What motivated his decisions to sacrifice so many of his troops, I wonder? Was he hoping that either the German machine gunners would run out of ammo, or their guns overheat or jam, and then his remaining troops could use their bayonets to deadly effect in close quarter combat?

George Patton had it right, and maybe his experiences as a tank Company Commander in WW1 influenced his to eliminate the "Pickett's Charge" strategy when encountering a fixed position held by the enemy. He also didn't believe in his troops employing foxholes-so I have read.

I couldn't agree more with your comment: "Brave Men, All"-- Brave beyond any call of duty, indeed..

A skillfully sculpted mask applied to a French soldier...

View attachment 484422
Makes me think of two movies: "The Elephant Man" and "Mask"-- both dealing with the birth deformations, not a war wound. I can only wonder what caused such a facial wound- and as a life-long non-smoker, wonder how this poor soul could manage to smoke? The foto showing him with the fitted mask seems to show a cigarette--what bothers me is the great number of enlisted men in the trenches on both sides of the conflict that paid this price, while their General Officers enjoyed a vastly better life in the rear areas- all the castles and homes "occupied" by the Officer class- One of the possible long-range effects of that horrific war was the beginning of the end of the "Upper Class-Officers" and their apparent disregard for the welfare of their enlisted men and NCO's--

I don't subscribe to the trite "lions led by donkeys" depiction of WW1, and we should be extremely careful of accepting latter-day depictions ("Oh What a Lovely War", "Blackadder Goes Forth" etc) as remotely accurate. To put things in context, more British Army General Officers were killed during the Battle of Loos in 1915 than were killed during the ENTIRE Second World War. Some 97 British General Officers were killed during WW1 and a further 146 were captured...that kind of thing doesn't happen if you're sitting on your backside in the rear areas.

You should also be VERY careful when talking about the "officer class" as a homogenous grouping. The British Army went through roughly 3 "generations" of officers. The first generation were the pre-war professional soldiers, most of whom became casualties in 1914-1915. The second generation came in 1915-1916 and was drawn from the upper echelons of society but not everyone was "landed gentry". Many were middle-class sons of educated or professional men. Bear in mind that many of this "officer class" group went to war with men from their local environment, and they fought and died in the trenches alongside them. Casualty rates for officers were far higher than for private soldiers because the junior officers (Major and below) had to lead from the front...with obvious consequences. To cite the example of just one upper-class school, Eton College saw 5,660 boys go to war and 1,157 of them - more than 20 per cent - were killed (not casualties, which includes wounded, but killed outright). Historian Richard Holmes has termed the losses in 1915-1917 "the greatest holocaust of the male British aristocracy since the Wars of the Roses four centuries previously." Average life expectancy for junior officers in front-line units was just 6 weeks. The final generation of officers was needed because the "officer class" was getting wiped out in the fighting. This last generation comprised experienced enlisted soldiers with proven leadership experience who were selected for commissioning. You'd have a hard time convincing me that members of that generation disregarded the welfare of their men.

I strongly recommend you read "The Anger of the Guns", a personal account of the travails of a junior officer in the Rifle Brigade. It was written not for publication but for his family's consumption, and hence provides a pretty unvarnished description of his experiences...including the efforts he took to avoid getting in harm's way and his daily care for his soldiers. Many such young, junior officers ended up having to take on unprecedented responsibility. There were many instances of battalions going into battle and coming out with a single Captain as the senior officer...and it rested on his shoulders to rebuild the battalion (and typically without returning to the UK for said reformation). Thus some very young officers suddenly found themselves being promoted to Colonel rank, just one step below Brigaider General.

The Western Front was frequently muddy, bloody carnage with weather playing a major role in the fighting. It was also evolutionary in nature as both sides sought ways to break the deadlock while struggling to determine how best to wage war in the industrial age. Were there poor decisions? Yes, absolutely - some were unaccountably stupid. But we should be extremely cautious of citing that as the norm. Equally, suggesting that the officers in general, or the senior officers in particular, had no regard for their men misrepresents the reality.

OK-you make fair points. As the son of a engineer, I had the good college experience, with ROTC-which got me into aviation. We were taught from the start that all officers, regardless of rank or combat experiences, had the welfare of the men they might command as first priority--I recall that Rudyard Kipling's only son- a Lt. was killed in 1916 at the Somme, and Kipling never could forgive General Haig for being the cause of that loss. Yes, Officers had to lead the suicidal "over the top" trench warfare charges, just as Pickett had to at Gettysburg, but such suicidal acts that cause the resultant "butcher's bill" in the aftermath are, IMO, inexcusable. As an American citizen, I don't pretend to understand the English and European "class system"- who goes to Eton, Sandhurst, Cambridge, and who works on the docks at Liverpool.

The British class system is virtually indistinguishable from the American wealth system. The wealthy go to the good schools and get lots of breaks that aren't available to the poorer classes. One of the key outcomes of WW1 was a recognition that wealth and social status did not automatically mean that its members had any particular talent, ability, courage or ethical standards. It's also interesting how well the commissioned "commoners" were integrated into the officers' mess within most regiments. Wealth and privilege had little meaning in the trenches. What counted was an individual officer's ability to lead and look after his men.

We can look back at the trench warfare stalemate as "inexcusable" but one has to ask, what could be done differently? Just sit there and do nothing? Wait for the enemy to attack you and potentially force a defeat? I'm not saying the oft-cited disasters like the Somme and Passchendaele were necessary or even well managed, but it's tough to know what else could be done under the circumstances. the goal of all such assaults was to break through the enemy lines and get back to a more manoeuverist form of warfare but the depth of the defences made any such breakthrough incredibly challenging to achieve. The final successes leading to victory occurred when the Allies finally managed to integrate all-arms battle effectively...but, even then, it was only possible once the enemy's will and ability to resist and been pretty much destroyed.

Points well made, Sir. In the bloody Civil War, we had the VMI, West Point and to some extend, Annapolis graduates from the wealthy upper classes in combat with the conscripted/enlisted from the lower classes-against their brothers and cousins- 4 years of that bloody mistake that in many ways, changed America as much as WW1 changed England and her Colonies-.

And the over-turning of the ruling families- Romanoffs in Russia, Saxe-Gothe in Prussia/Germany- Hapsburgs in Austria-Hungary- all over a single gunshot in the summer of 1914 in Sarajevo. Just as much a starting place in history as the shots against Fort. Sumpter- I can only wonder if the forces behind those cataclysmic events could have foreseen the long 4 plus year long aftermath, well-that's almost as futile as wondering if the bullet(s) that killed Hitler's companions in the Putsch in Munich had, instead, killed Adolph Hitler-and possibly Hermann Goering as well. What would have been Germany's destiny if that had happened??

-And if I may add, thank you for recommending the book. So far, Barbara Tuchmann's book about what started WW1 in 1914- "The Guns of August." And my only view of the British upper class in that time frame- 1912-1919 has come from watching the TV series- "Downton Abbey"-and now, more recently- British history from aprox. 1930's through 1960's in the mini-series "The Crown"--

Last edited:
Showing participants "of an armed services pantomime, Western Front. World War I".
And the reason they printed it in our paper a few years back is that the "woman" was a local boy, Herbert William Henningham, born in 1897...

Users who are viewing this thread