Incoming Artillery (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Matt308

Glock Perfection
Apr 12, 2005
Washington State
We had several "radars" (I guess you can call them radars) on our camp in Iraq. Whenever we were hit by Rocket Attack or Mortar Attack, it would find the direction and range to where they were fired from. Then our own Arty would open up on them.

Most of the time though, the rockets were fired via remote control, so in the end we only destroyed a launcher.

Here's the supposed scenario.

Taliban fire rockets with a remote camera set up for propaganda. As Adler noted, the rockets are remotely/time delay fired.

Rockets fire into good guy base.

Good guys immediately respond. First round of 105 arty hits dead center. Next dozen saturate area for effect.

Keeping in mind that sound is traveling at about 900ft/sec and the round at about about 2500ft per sec, the initial thump of the round lighting off is heard while the round is midflight. Still fairly close though.

Now I wonder who is the low man on the totem pole that has to retrieve the camera while every man with glass is staring at that hill.

We had several "radars" (I guess you can call them radars) on our camp in Iraq. Whenever we were hit by Rocket Attack or Mortar Attack, it would find the direction and range to where they were fired from. Then our own Arty would open up on them.

Radars for sure, the big armies have those for some 30 years in inventory. The main assets of US Army are the AN7TPQ-36 and -37 models, one for detecting tracking steep projectiles (like mortar rounds), other for plain ones (arty, katyusha).
Brits used Cymbeline, Russkies used Zoopark sytem, while Swedes have Arthur.

Radars for sure, the big armies have those for some 30 years in inventory. The main assets of US Army are the AN7TPQ-36 and -37 models, one for detecting tracking steep projectiles (like mortar rounds), other for plain ones (arty, katyusha).
Brits used Cymbeline, Russkies used Zoopark sytem, while Swedes have Arthur.

We had one situated out in front of our hanger. They almost took it out one day. A rocket landed within 5 meters of it, fortunately it did not explode, our hanger doors were open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back