Is modelling 1:1 allowed here?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I can't find another suitable forum so I'll just ask. I'm making a model Spitfire (well cockpit section) but it's full size! Everything is: cardboard, glue, MDF, bottle tops, household items and modelling clay...so it sort of is a model not a repro. Am I alone...or in the wrong place? As a taste here's a Reflector Gun Sight MKII, various sources and (not finished obviously) I'm just finishing. Cardboard, a few bits of MFD a magnifying glass, laser prints, piece of perspex....and black paint lol. Anyone else as mad as me?
reflector gun sight pbg5.jpg

It's early days with my second cockpit fubar57, but I will post as I go along. I decided to get the instruments right first...I mean that's the part you really see right? I should mention it will be 'flat-packable' for storage. I have a lot of it CAD drawn but construction is slooow. Here's piece of the panel, most of the panel is finished, knobs and flaps to add...and Oxygen gauges! I have avoided 'perfection'...I'd like to see it finished in my lifetime. Some compromises are needed I think, you have to be practical...or where do you draw the line?

Attachments

• FSCF0903a.jpg
    FSCF0903a.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 182
Nice. Looking forward to the assembling. Good luck Mate. :thumbright:

Seat and cantilever support. This bit, even though made of wood has to support my weight easily so I've tried to disguise the extra support. It looks 'close' to a real seat I think. Some things have to be as strong as the real thing. I could have made itIMG_4017 2.JPG IMG_4018 2.JPG IMG_4021 4.JPG out of metal...but where is the challenge in that lol.

Great looking seat. Curious as to which Spit mark you are modelling as the seats didn't have flare holders after a while. Having said that, I've always thought they added a nice touch
Originally a Mark ll but I guess a Mark IX. I soon found most Spitfires have been modified in all sorts of ways. The vast variation in say instruments and panels is startling. Just say, the airspeed in a Mark ll now has in Knots not MPH even though that didn't happen until post 1946. I guess if it's still flying...that's what it has. Getting a single seat source was shear luck, I've had to do my best from images all over the place. That is why I say this is a model not a replica. It does mean you gain a huge understanding of every part of the cockpit...I'm enjoying that a lot Mr. R.J. Mitchell :). Even the arc of the seat cantilever (though not a problem in a Spitfire) is a problem for my seat.

This was the first attempt, just done by eye and guesstimate . It was for my young son to play in. Built with a few hand tools and 2yrs of Sundays haha. There is a lot not quite right I know but is was never intended to get this far...still more to do. It's too big to get out of the room now
IMG_4129a.jpg IMG_4130a.jpg , standing 6ft high and 8ft long.

Fuselage construction now. I spend a lot of time designing and making templates. I also try and save as much materials as possible, squeezing every inch out of the MDF sheets.

Attachments

• IMG_4137.JPG
    IMG_4137.JPG
    898.5 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_4138.JPG
    IMG_4138.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 121
  • IMG_4139.JPG
    IMG_4139.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 132

Users who are viewing this thread

Back