Is the Corsair easier to land on a carrier? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jan 21, 2009
I just started flying the F4U Corsair and I noticed that it is relatively easier to land it on a carrier as compared to the A6M Zero. I made my first trap on my first attempt. The Corsair has a longer tailhook than a Zero's. Would this have an effect on the ease of landing on a carrier?

That makes me smile. You do know why tail dragger planes zig zag down taxi ways? Coz the pilot cannot see straight ahead over the snout, and we all know how big a corsairs snout is. Been there, done that in an Eagle and a Champ. Are you sitting in the pilots seat with a pilots view? cheers, Bill

Yeah, I'm in the cockpit with a pilot's view. Although I can land on the carrier, the approach is unstabilized--I tend to pitch up and down and correct the Corsair's flight path to compensate for the plane's long snout.

Ah well, there you go. You wouldn't get much of a score from the landing boss with all that apple bobbing even if you don't crash. Got to get a flap setting, air speed and decent rate set. Like in a 150 Cessna, 45 degree flaps, 1200 rpm, 55 mph air speed gets you in ideal decent rate like 500 feet per minute for landing without ending up with the landing gear up under the wings. Try a few settings to get you in a 500 FPM rate, barring outrageous head winds. Try crabbing a little till you get to the deck. cheers, Bill .......I am a low time pilot..... you won't die flying your computer. plate on an experimental a/c, "RELAX, OR YOUR GONNA DIE ALL TENSED UP"

With my outstanding art skills I made this picture. lol.

Anyways, I learned that the best way to land a corsair is not a long drawn out approach. Start going towards the carrier at a 90 degree angle. Just before your even with the carrier and turn into it. You should be full flaps, gear down, and tail hook out. Once you make your turn, you should only loose sight of the carrier for only 2 or 4 seconds, if not a little more. It takes time to practice and master it, but once you do, you can nail a carrier landing every time. I have been doing it like this for a long time, and hasent failed me yet. Besides this is how they did it back in WW2 (for the most part). Hope this helps.

Landing a tail-dragger can be interesting, to say the least...

In IL-2, I have a pretty good rate of success getting the Dauntless down on the hardwood. I pretty much do it like BP recommended and I'll "skid" it a little on final to make sure I'm "on the ball".

There's alot to be said about the tricycle landing gear, but in real landing/taxiing situations with a tail-dragger, I used to find myself leaning my head to the left alot! :lol:

Go back and check your history. The USN was operating Corsairs off carriers and using that short curving final approach before the first British units even got their Corsairs. The story that the FAA taught the USN how to land Corsairs successfully on carriers is a myth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back