Is this a B24?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

syscom3

Pacific Historian
Jun 4, 2005
Orange County, CA
Here is the caption and photo.

I have never seen a dual .50 mount like this for a B24.

Your thoughts?

"Dec. 11, 1943, England. On a mission to Emden, Germany, this B-24 encountered Luftwaffe fighters experimenting with aerial bombs suspended from cables. Wire from one of these contraptions smacked into the Liberator, smashed some Plexiglas and became entangled in the bomber's "bird cage" nose."

7C377AFD-43AE-473C-9AF9-A49329B65C2D.jpeg

Last edited:
Here is the caption and photo.

I have never seen a dual .50 mount like this for a B24.

Your thoughts?

"Dec. 11, 1943, England. On a mission to Emden, Germany, this B-24 encountered Luftwaffe fighters experimenting with aerial bombs suspended from cables. Wire from one of these contraptions smacked into the Liberator, smashed some Plexiglas and became entangled in the bomber's "bird cage" nose."

View attachment 652110
Yep, looks like a field modification.

The tubular objects were rocket launchers for anti-sub warfare. While approaching the sub at night, the aircraft would launch two flares past the sub, silhouetting the target and causing the sub's deck gunners to look the wrong way during the attack. It doesn't seem that the system was ever used operationally.

While I've seen he reports on that "jazz music" installation, I've never found any report explaining the application or evaluation of the scheme. You just know they had to have written it up at some point! With my interest in all things camouflage, I've always wanted to know much more about this one!

Cheers,

Dana

Only thing I could find was that pic on this site.....

and this interesting pic. What I gather is the 'D' model tried various nose armament configurations until the turret was introduced on the 'J' model.View attachment 652199
This one's an early attempt at moding a B-24 into a camera platform - note the camera positions for the tri-met rig. The aircraft could wear an early version of synthetic haze paint camouflage. I copied the original of this many years ago - while the data block is visible - still calling the aircraft a B-24D - the serial is not ledgible.

Perhaps we'll all know more about the armament rig when Alan Griffith publishes his second volume of Consolidated Mess!

Cheers,

Dana

Users who are viewing this thread

Back