Is this a solution to the Energy crisis? LFTR

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

oldcrowcv63

Tech Sergeant
Jan 12, 2012
Northeast North Carolina
We have a fair number of quite knowledgable engineers frequenting this forum. I am especially wondering if they've heard or have an opinion on this technology? Or whether anyone else might have an opinion or arguments for or against?

The Liquid Flouride Thorium Reactor: What fusion claims to be, but apparently demonstrated some decades ago as a byproduct of the USAF quest for a nuclear powered aircraft.

This technology might be described as the Legacy of the Nuclear Powered Bomber.

Here are some videos of varying length and detail: Kirk Sorensen, formerly a mechanical engineer, who became a nuc, is an effective (but not the only) spokesperson for this technology:

From wikipedia:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LeM-Dyuk6g

a more complete approximately 1 hour version was recorded during a briefing at Mount Royal University in Calgary, CN:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3rL08J7fDA

For a dialgue that includes a discussion of the environmental pressures due to solar and wind power:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9M__yYbsZ4

So anyone want to discuss this? debunk? support? anything?

Mal

Last edited:
This is absolutely facinating!
The powers that be will fight it on the old "We've thrown too much in this other technology" crap, of course.
Maybe if the Canadians would do this, it would shame us into it also....

Last edited:
I hear the Chinese are doing LFTR test reactors... Figures.

In the long remix (3rd link above) there is a great exchange wherein a parliment minister says LFTR won't solve the "nuclear waste problem" because "we already have waste that we can't get rid of." :shock: Such men must make the British as proud of their MPs as we are of our congressional leadership. :cry:

Last edited:
RA No! Mine was a serious post. Not my usual attempt at something akin to "comic banter." I was hoping folks would take the opportunity to listen to these videos and comment on what they may have heard about LFTR technology. It really looks promising and was actually developed for the nuclear powered aircraft program. (Now, I feel like the kid who cried wolf :( )

Also, the video (recorded 3/31/10) you posted may have been prompted by the rep taking seriously a joke news release (dated 4/1/2010: April Fools Day, 2010) that Guam was unstable due to its geology. According to this release, the island is supposedly perched on a boulder sitting on top of a volcanic crater like a ball and socket, making it liable to tip :shock: . Guam submarine mountain may have steep sided slopes, but I doubt it's perched on a boulder :rolleyes: . Total bullshit of course, but in my experience, congressional reps are not very well informed and rely heavily on their staff, who may also be dunces. let's just say the intelligance bar in congress is pretty low and getting lower. :cry:

Last edited:
Maybe everybody is doing some research?

You mean everybody has already installed their own Liquid Flouride nuclear reactors in their basements? Cool... Guess we've won the energy war for the next 1,000,000 years. and it all happened when I was asleep. S*ck on that China!

What could be wrong with a nuclear reactor that doesn't appear able to melt down, doesn't require a high pressure containment vessel, Requires mining only 200 tons of thorium containing ore vs 800,000 tons of Uranium containing ore for equal energy output. (environmentally less impact) Burns up essentially all of its fissile materiel, produceing essentially zero long-term radioactive waste and only very small amounts of the short-term hazardous waste. (Far lower environmentally toxic byproduct)?

This is absolutely facinating!
The powers that be will fight it on the old "We've thrown too much in this other technology" crap, of course.
Maybe if the Canadians would do this, it would shame us into it also....

There is a lot of developments in Canada about LFTR, and my company is also in the process of developing a LFTR. The regulations within the US will prevent us from making any significant progress unless things change. One specific area has to do with rare earth elements, of which Thorium is one of, are being forced out of the US. China has the largest supplies of available rare earths, yet here in the us ours site idle. Why? Thorium in part. Since it is mildly radioactive (fertile not fissile ) it is classified the same as uranium. That mean any earth excavated for an RRE will have thorium and as such can not be handled. You all should know how common Thorium is and how beneficial it is as a fuel for these reactors. When I get some time I'll run through some of the benefits of these reactors compared to traditional nuclear reactors. In the meantime watch a video, especially the thorium remix. Don't rewind it the first time, just watch and listen. Go back after and replay the parts you missed and soon you'll loose sleep over this and why it's taken so long to happen.

You mean everybody has already installed their own Liquid Flouride nuclear reactors in their basements? Cool... Guess we've won the energy war for the next 1,000,000 years. and it all happened when I was asleep. S*ck on that China!

What could be wrong with a nuclear reactor that doesn't appear able to melt down, doesn't require a high pressure containment vessel, Requires mining only 200 tons of thorium containing ore vs 800,000 tons of Uranium containing ore for equal energy output. (environmentally less impact) Burns up essentially all of its fissile materiel, produceing essentially zero long-term radioactive waste and only very small amounts of the short-term hazardous waste. (Far lower environmentally toxic byproduct)?
Actually, I was refering to our fellows on this board....
Oh, look! Bossman7121 is Sciencing! (I love science!)

I have heard about and read of a few alternatives to the current nuclear fuels. One of the reasons for resistance is that there is a huge infrastructure for what is in place now, and changing that upsets the "balance of power" in the energy markets. It's unbelievable how much power struggles are put in front of what is best for society/environment/quality of life. Michio Kaku has some brilliant insight into future technologies. He has a lot of info in books and on the web if you are interested in future science.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back