Israel vs Hamas Conflict 2023

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Has the death penalty stopped people from committing murder? Nope." The person who was executed has been stopped from further atrocities.
Agreed. It stops that person. The death penalty is supposed to stop that person from committing murder, not deter others. When we put down a dangerous dog, we're not intending to send a message to other dogs to act differently. We want THAT dog dead. Of course prison sentences up to a person's natural death would accomplish the same.

Maybe issue the troops some 12 ga with 00 buckshot.
Look at the photo. Your IFF is your own common sense. If one or two armed men are flying a paraglider over the border barrier from a hostile self-proclaimed enemy into your country, do you really think he has to be captured and put on trial? In wartime it has always been legal for captured spies (those without uniforms or dogtags) to be summarily executed. That should also apply to terrorists. A civilized country will only apply this harsh punishment judiciously.

Agreed. It stops that person. The death penalty is supposed to stop that person from committing murder, not deter others. When we put down a dangerous dog, we're not intending to send a message to other dogs to act differently. We want THAT dog dead. Of course prison sentences up to a person's natural death would accomplish the same.
"Of course prison sentences up to a person's natural death would accomplish the same." Yes, at the cost of having others pay for his lifetime upkeep.

"Of course prison sentences up to a person's natural death would accomplish the same." Yes, at the cost of having others pay for his lifetime upkeep.

Or we can stop putting our heads in the sand and address the issues that cause such wide spread crime.

This is getting way off topic and close to political though… ;)

But to put this in the context of the situation in the Middle East, let's address the issues and causes that lead to hatred and radicalism and maybe, just maybe we can find a peaceful solution.

Look at the photo. Your IFF is your own common sense. If one or two armed men are flying a paraglider over the border barrier from a hostile self-proclaimed enemy into your country, do you really think he has to be captured and put on trial? In wartime it has always been legal for captured spies (those without uniforms or dogtags) to be summarily executed. That should also apply to terrorists. A civilized country will only apply this harsh punishment judiciously.

You seem to think all arms would be visible, or, to the contrary, you'd have to shoot all of 'em because they might have concealed weapons. And what of a civilian who does this?

You're giving off really strong Maslow's-Hammer vibes here, Manta: when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. Let me ask you this: if terrorism availed itself of such a simple solution, why has it been around since at least Napoleon's occupation of Spain? Do you honestly think the Sandinistas, say, were mollycoddled? I think history shows that address such complex problems as this with such a simplistic approach is doomed to failure. But it's the only thing you have on offer -- even though it's been shown counterproductive over a couple of centuries.

Get real, no it doesn't. Violence only breeds more violence. Has the death penalty stopped people from committing murder? Nope.
What do you suggest, invite them over for tea? These are killers. They expect themselves to be killed if caught. And let's quit kidding ourselves. I watch DW and France News and see how naive some of those nitwits are on Iranian involvement. None of this would be happening today if Iran wasn't on the same ethic cleansing protocol the Nazis themselves were on, this is picking it up from where they left it off. They know they deserve the death penalty, we know they deserve the death penalty, why is this so difficult? I'm not understanding it. These terrorists are war criminals. They deserve the same fate as the Nazis. I thought by now Germany and France had learned something from that, what genocide looks like. Evidently not, going by their international news. At least that which speaks English.

What do you suggest, invite them over for tea?These are killers. They expect themselves to be killed if caught. And let's quit kidding ourselves. I watch DW and France News and see how naive some of those nitwits are on Iranian involvement. None of this would be happening today if Iran wasn't on the same ethic cleansing protocol the Nazis themselves were on, this is picking it up from where they left it off. They know they deserve the death penalty, we know they deserve the death penalty, why is this so difficult? I'm not understanding it. These terrorists are war criminals. They deserve the same fate as the Nazis. I thought by now Germany and France had learned something from that, what genocide looks like. Evidently not, going by their international news. At least that which speaks English.

Did I say that?

Read the entire conversation before picking up on one post.

The conversation was about conducting Summary Executions and whether it will deter others from becoming terrorists. The answer is 100% no.

Kill all the fighters in combat that you want. That is fair game, and no issues. They deserve it. But summary executions will accomplish nothing, and we are not barbarian criminals like they are.

This might be an academic discussion for you guys but it's very real to me. I have relatives over there. Ones that I played with when I was growing up. I have a real sensitivity towards ethnic cleansing. It's quite personal and not an esoteric concept.
I noticed an article posted up thread. It mentioned a possible reason why Israel's guard was down. Something about economic overtures made to Gazans. Didn't sound very genocidal. These programs don't exist in the nations sponsoring the destruction of Israel.
Israel is a nation of western values. It is expected to behave civilly as the folks across the road launch murderous assaults year after year. Overtures were made but as Golda Meir said "there will never be peace in the Middle East until the Arabs love their children more than they hate the Jews".
Hamas started a brutal war of extermination. They opened a can of "F***around and find out".

So, what do the Palestinians want? Do they want Israel to respect the boundaries of its original borders and to close down settlements in the Occupied Territories and return 100% of the West Bank to the Palestinians?

"Even so, the sobering reality is that there is still no Palestinian popular majority that supports permanent peace with Israel, including a majority even among the younger generation. Beyond the practical challenges of negotiating the final status of a two-state solution, real reconciliation remains a distant dream."

Did I say that?

Read the entire conversation before picking up on one post.

The conversation was about conducting Summary Executions and whether it will deter others from becoming terrorists. The answer is 100% no.

Kill all the fighters in combat that you want. That is fair game, and no issues. They deserve it. But summary executions will accomplish nothing, and we are not barbarian criminals like they are.
These are genocidal maniacs, sir. They need to be taught in no uncertain terms they ride with terrorists they die with terrorists. Deterrence is all we got in terms of justifying criminal sentencing. It's not perfect because we'll never ever erase crime. But it's effective, and the alternatives aren't. Just ask the Nazis post Nuremberg, how many of those are we seeing in our streets, today? I'll give you when crime and punishment serve only vengeful ends that's an inappropriate state intervention, but not deterrence, there the state is justified. In terms of our efforts to curb and fight crime, it's not a solution, nothing for that matter is, but it's a good piece of it.

Or we can stop putting our heads in the sand and address the issues that cause such wide spread crime.

This is getting way off topic and close to political though… ;)

But to put this in the context of the situation in the Middle East, let's address the issues and causes that lead to hatred and radicalism and maybe, just maybe we can find a peaceful solution.
Lack of character is the principle cause of crime.

The Palestinian/Israeli conflict always reminds me of the Irish "troubles" - two groups, both believing in the same god, but determined to murder anyone on the other side in gods name due to indoctrinated hatreds and blind obedience to their different religions.
Those were not Christians; they were advocating a perversion of Christian belief.

You seem to think all arms would be visible, or, to the contrary, you'd have to shoot all of 'em because they might have concealed weapons. And what of a civilian who does this?

You're giving off really strong Maslow's-Hammer vibes here, Manta: when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. Let me ask you this: if terrorism availed itself of such a simple solution, why has it been around since at least Napoleon's occupation of Spain? Do you honestly think the Sandinistas, say, were mollycoddled? I think history shows that address such complex problems as this with such a simplistic approach is doomed to failure. But it's the only thing you have on offer -- even though it's been shown counterproductive over a couple of centuries.
Flying a para glider over a closed border fence separating you from those who say "Death to Israel" is enough provocation to shoot him down. BTW, we haven't heard much from the Sandinistas lately... :rolleyes:

So, what do the Palestinians want? Do they want Israel to respect the boundaries of its original borders and to close down settlements in the Occupied Territories and return 100% of the West Bank to the Palestinians?

"Even so, the sobering reality is that there is still no Palestinian popular majority that supports permanent peace with Israel, including a majority even among the younger generation. Beyond the practical challenges of negotiating the final status of a two-state solution, real reconciliation remains a distant dream."
So, what do the Palestinians want?
... and "Death to Israel".

This might be an academic discussion for you guys but it's very real to me. I have relatives over there. Ones that I played with when I was growing up. I have a real sensitivity towards ethnic cleansing. It's quite personal and not an esoteric concept.
I noticed an article posted up thread. It mentioned a possible reason why Israel's guard was down. Something about economic overtures made to Gazans. Didn't sound very genocidal. These programs don't exist in the nations sponsoring the destruction of Israel.
Israel is a nation of western values. It is expected to behave civilly as the folks across the road launch murderous assaults year after year. Overtures were made but as Golda Meir said "there will never be peace in the Middle East until the Arabs love their children more than they hate the Jews".
Hamas started a brutal war of extermination. They opened a can of "F***around and find out".

And I spent a year in Iraq fighting an insurgency that we made worse. While I don'r have family there, it might be an academic discussion based on experience.

These are genocidal maniacs, sir. They need to be taught in no uncertain terms they ride with terrorists they die with terrorists. Deterrence is all we got in terms of justifying criminal sentencing. It's not perfect because we'll never ever erase crime. But it's effective, and the alternatives aren't. Just ask the Nazis post Nuremberg, how many of those are we seeing in our streets, today? I'll give you when crime and punishment serve only vengeful ends that's an inappropriate state intervention, but not deterrence, there the state is justified. In terms of our efforts to curb and fight crime, it's not a solution, nothing for that matter is, but it's a good piece of it.

Comparing impoverished people who are radicalized to post WW2 trials and executions is a poor example. For one totally different culture. Secondly, the executions that came out of Nürnberg were not done prior to a court of law.

I see a lot of people giving advice on how to "kill em all, and let god sort them out," but they say it from the comfort of their home. They should pick up a rifle and go take care of it then.

Show me an example where summary exoc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back