Italeri 1/72 Sluff, Ohio ANG (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

JohnAnthony

Senior Airman
Jul 26, 2010
I've noticed that some non-WWII builds get occasionally posted on this forum so I hope y'all doin't mind this one. Apologies if it's not appropriate.

final1p.jpg

final2z.jpg

Judging by various pics these planes weathered mostly by sun-bleaching. I've seen builds of this particular scheme on the internet where the modelers slathered a wash over the plane without having first lightened the paint colors and it looks all wrong – way too dark. Since my paint went on full strength I don't really have a choice but to keep this build as a factory-fresh rendition of the plane.

final3kf.jpg

final4k.jpg

Here's a bit of breakdown on the project, starting with the kit itself.

Accuracy: there are several accuracy issues with this kit. There is a lack of detail in the front gear bay and a tow hook would have been nice as well. As there is no intake detail one is basically forced to use the FOD cover – it would have been nice if Italeri had included one for the exhaust as well. I made an overlay of the model with Vought's own line drawings of the plane and discovered that the horizontal stabs are way out of shape…

overlay.jpg

Also, according to Vought specs the horizontal stabs should have a slight positive dihedral. The kit instructions have them tilting down which is an error. I'm going to have to remove the stabs and reconnect them on my build, just don't feel like doing it at the moment. Perhaps once they've been correctly installed the overlay won't look as egregiously wrong. You can also see that the wings are a bit too narrow as they as they go outboard but it's not a huge discrepancy.

a7dsmall.jpg

Fit: The fit is average for a kit of this era, no better or worse than some of the old Monograms. The fuselage halves need sanding once they're mated and gaps need to be filled between the wings and fuselage. All of the small pieces that go onto the curved fuselage are molded with flat surfaces so there is some work involved there as well. The sprues are thicker than usual and some of the small pieces need a lot of care to extricate them, and they're got flash – lots of it, especially the external stores.

Instructions/Decals: The instructions are vague at times, especially when it comes to fuselage externals. Frequently all you get is an arrow pointing in a general direction. Pics of the plane and specs come in very handy. The decals are nicely printed but this kit is old and my sheet was quite dry and brittle. A long soak in hot water with a drop of dish soap got them loose however and only one silvered. The painting scheme Italeri gives is a bit too angular. It appears this gunship/medium gray wrap-around had smoother, broader lines.

I'm going to order another one of these kits along with the Hobbyboss A-7D in order to compare them. The HB kit has some good aftermarket for it as well. Perhaps a kitbash would yield the most accurate model. I also need to print my own decals for the window linings. Cutting strips and trying to bend them around the frames was too fussy, and they need to be thinner to be in scale. I'm also going to use Hasegawa's set of 1/72 stores as the ones in this kit are ****. I also need to learn how to paint better on a microscopic scale. My painting needs work.

Last edited:
Totallyt appropriate John. We just finishe a cold war GB and lots of jets were entered. Shame you weren't around for that.

Nice build and an unusual scheme.

That's a fun kit. Nice job. I've got my thread in here somewhere on this same kit, but can't find it offhand. Hope you post more of your work.

Attachments

• DSCF2089.JPG
    DSCF2089.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 208
Nice build and I really like the paint scheme. I also have an A-7 waiting to be built and it has marking for the Ohio National Guard. Since I live in Ohio I thought doing the Ohio NG scheme would be appropriate...

Nice build and I really like the paint scheme. I also have an A-7 waiting to be built and it has marking for the Ohio National Guard. Since I live in Ohio I thought doing the Ohio NG scheme would be appropriate...

If you decide to use the gunship/medium gray wrap-around camo it's broader and less angular than the diagram in the Italeri three-view. I thought perhaps Italeri knew something I didn't but I couldn't find any birds with their angular scheme - I did it anyway just for fun but I think they made it up. The Ohio ANG Corsair IIs I can find all look basically like this...

a7dk.jpg

Last edited:
If you decide to use the gunship/medium gray wrap-around camo it's broader and less angular than the diagram in the Italeri three-view. I thought perhaps Italeri knew something I didn't but I couldn't find any birds with their angular scheme - I did it anyway just for fun but I think they made it up. The Ohio ANG Corsair IIs I can find all look basically like this...

a7dk.jpg

Yours looks good the way it is.

I'm just going to follow the paint diagram that Hobbyboss provided with the kit; ghost grey gray blue. It actaully looks very close to the picture you found.......

EPSON001.jpg

It's the very same aircraft in fact. Nice! Hobbyboss has the best A-7 kits of any maker IMO. Can't wait to see iyour build.

Tried my hand at photoshopping today. not bad for a first try I think, but it still looks like a model pasted onto a background. It's drawing those damn shadows...

Attachments

• sluff3.jpg
    sluff3.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 183
Thanks javlin! Did another photoshop today. Sorry if I'm acting like an attention whore - I'm really not. I'm just writing a review of this kit and I wanted to submit some interesting pics this time...

Attachments

• sluff6.jpg
    sluff6.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 154

Users who are viewing this thread

Back