Italian Aircraft Camouflage and Markings

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Micdrow

“Archive”
Aug 21, 2006
Wisconsin
This thread will be for the discussion of Italian aircraft markings and camouflage.

I am trying to identify the marking on the cowling of the Reggaine 2002.
The photo is of King Victor Emanuel and 5th Storma commander, Major Carlo Rizzi.
Photo was taken October 1943 at Mandurie Air Field . The Americans are Brig General CH Ridenour and Colonel Taylor of the 47th Bomb Wing.

Thanks,
Earl

Attachments

• King Victor Emanuel.JPG
    King Victor Emanuel.JPG
    359.1 KB · Views: 1,245
  • Reggaine 2002.JPG
    Reggaine 2002.JPG
    190.6 KB · Views: 1,252
Hi Earl, Ive been trying to figure this one out most of the day, Is it possible that its a personal emblem of a pilot?

You may have a point there. This other photo was taken at the same time and place and there is nothing on them that I can see.
Earl

Attachments

• 095_95.JPG
    095_95.JPG
    329 KB · Views: 1,228
Thanks for taking a look. Let me know if you run across anything. I'll keep researching myself.
Thanks Again,
Earl

Earl,
Give me a few days I have seen this insignia, being Italian I sent to italy for Regio decals. I am almost positive I have this one!

Ben

Ben,
Thanks for looking. Let me know if you find something . I been researching this for a long time.

Earl

My guess is 101 Gruppo, either Squadriglie 208 or 238

According to "Courage Alone" by C. Dunning, only two Gruppo flew the Re 2002 operationally. That was 101 and 102, both from Manduria in the summer of 1943. Both were nearly decimated by September, but did have a few still servicable.

Dunning also shows a photo of the 102 Gruppo's emblem, which he decribes as a "guitar-playing cockroach...used on the unit's Re 2002s." Your photo would be hard to construe as that description. It looks more like a bow-wielding figure to me.

This is still no guarantee however, as there are no photos or references for a 101 Gruppo emblem. Photos of the group's Ju-87s flown earlier in the war (1941) have no visible emblems whatsoever. Have not been able to find photos of the Cr 42s they flew in 1942.

Hope this helps,
Jack

Slept on this one and came up with another thought: since 101 never used a special insignia before, maybe those are the other planes in the photos. None of the others shown had any cowl markings.

And since the Gruppo had just switched sides, MAYBE 102 didn't want to be identified by their earlier markings, so they changed them a little. They kept the shield, and slightly modified the internal drawing.

But I would bet money that the plane is from either:
Gruppo 101 -Squadriglia 208 or 238
Gruppo 102 - Squadriglia 209 or 239

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful,
Jack

Thanks Jack,
I believe you are correct. The Badge/Marking is one of these four .Gruppo 101 -Squadriglia 208 or 238 Gruppo 102 - Squadriglia 209 or 239 .Here is a photo a friend sent me taken about the same time and place. I'll keep looking and if I find anything I'll let you know.
Earl

Attachments

• Re 2002  Manduria, Italy.JPG
    Re 2002 Manduria, Italy.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 1,192
what is the difference between the fascist symbol in the circle as opposed to the one in the square?

The fasci del littorio inside squares were used by the air force of Republic of Salo', a fascist mini state created by Mussolini in northern Italy by the end of 1943 that continued to fight alongside the Germans.

Thanks Jack,
I believe you are correct. The Badge/Marking is one of these four .Gruppo 101 -Squadriglia 208 or 238 Gruppo 102 - Squadriglia 209 or 239 .Here is a photo a friend sent me taken about the same time and place. I'll keep looking and if I find anything I'll let you know.
Earl

The A/C shown in this picture is reported as being the personal A/C of Maj Giuseppe Cenni, KIA on Spt 4, 1943. At that time he was CO of 102 Gruppo. Hence I believe the badge is the one of this particoular Gruppo.
Until Jul 26, 1943 (end of fascist era) the full colored fascio emblem was sported on both side of engine cowling, just where we now founfd the 102 Gr badge. As soon as I can get a good detailed picture/drawing of the badge I'll post it (I'm looking for a WWII booket about Italian AF heraldry)

You excuse my English but I would like to help the coat of arms to understand you on the motor of the Reggianes 2002.
A historical search has been published by the writer Italian Paul Waldis in its book "The Fighters Reggiane" of the series "Wings and Colors" (ali e colori) of the publishing house "La Bancarella Aeronautica."

Waldis reaches these conclusions: ""... in load to the 239 ^ squadron together brought the codes in fuselage to the coat of arms of group with the cricket in tail,.... to the place of the bundle in use before July 25 th 1943 you/he/she had been from little painting on the face the new coat of arms of flock raffigurante a busy little devil with the witticism 'faso tutto mi' (I make all self) ..... ".

2mwfme.jpg

I hope to have been useful.
Regards.
Sagittarius

Here's a question...

This was cut from an Italian Fighter by a NORWEGIAN PILOT, "apparently" during the Battle of the Bulge.

DSC09909.jpg

DSC09912.jpg

Info I have is this:

Was cut be a Norwegian pilot who was stationed with the 132 wing and was attached to 331 Sq in Grimbergen, Belgium. They were in operations over Belgium between 6th October and 22nd December. They made many, many sweeps and missions with their Spitfires and of course were for obvious reasons also put into the Battle of the Bulge against the Germans. They had many victories but also many casualties over Belgium and Holland.

BUT...

was recently given the following info:

-That emblem was only used until July 25, 1943. No Italian aircraft used it after that day.

-In Belgium, Italians were not using the Macchi 200 (Retired from front lines in 1943)

So...can anyone confirm or make light on any of this info?

Thanks!

mike

Grimbergen is about 5 miles from Melsbroech. Thats where several of the Italian sqadrons flying the BR 20 where located in 1940 during the Battle of Britain. The Corpo Aereo Italiano also had several fighter squadrons (flying Cr42s and G50s) nearer the coast at Maldegem and Ursel.

Are you sure this came from a Macchi 200? And did the pilot claim he shot down the Italian plane? How large is it, the plaid blanket infers it's somewhat small.

This could easily be a case where a pilot found a derelict plane and procured a trophy. Lot of bad weather at that time and he would have spare time on his hands. Also, not too many stories of pilots landing and taking trophies like they could in World War One! :D

Jack

Hi!

Thanks for the reply...

The emblem is around 13" in diameter.

The Norwegian Spitfire pilot did claim he shot this one down. Of course, like the US pilots and soldiers, sometime there were a lot of mis-ID's. Also, during the course of 60 years, info may get lost or misconstrued.

Mike

Usually this emblem was applied in decal form (as the coat of arm in the white rudder cross).
Macchi C200 were not flown in Belgium but a Fiat G50 could look like a Macchi C200.. (it is the mistake I made when I was a child when first attempting to model WW2 Italian aircrafts:shock:)

Here's a question...

This was cut from an Italian Fighter by a NORWEGIAN PILOT, "apparently" during the Battle of the Bulge.
Hi,

IMHO there is some misinformation or confusion in this story: the Battle of the Bulge started in December 1944, while the Regia Aeronautica's expeditionary force leaved once and for all Belgium starting from January 1941 (two fighter squadrons stayed there until April).

Cheers

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back