Italian Aircraft Camouflage and Markings (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This photo showed up in my e-mail. I'm wondering if anyone can identify the marking on the side of the fuselage. I know they're Italian planes, but I'm interested in the "gecko with naughty bits" logo and the wording. Well, it looks like a gecko to me, but my eyesight is questionable. A better picture of the logo would really be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Can anyone give me additional information and/or pictures concerning the "gecko" fuselage markings on this Italian plane? Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• Italian Bombers.jpg
    Italian Bombers.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 4,863
Hi,
this badge was called "Omino elettrico" = electric man and was used by193rd Squadriglia (squadron) of 87th Gruppo (group) belonging to 30th Stormo (air brigade).

This Stormo was formed in 1931 as "Bombardamento Marittimo" (Sea Bombing) and was flying with S.55 float-planes.
In 1936 the Stormo was changed into "Bombardamento Terrestre" (Land Bombing) with S.81 aircraft.
In 1938 the started switching to the new S.79 as shown in your picture.

It seems the this badge was used for the first time by the S.79 MM.22326, coded 193-6 and piloted by Lieutenant Gino Magnani on 28/11/1940 in a flight to bomb La Valletta harbour, in Malta.

Above information have been taken from this book:
AraldicaRA-vi.jpg
AraldicaRAback-vi.jpg

On the back cover you will see also picture of the badge in question.
Unfortunately this book is available only in Italian, as far as I know.
Cheers
Alberto

Very cool, it's intersting how on the two planes it's shown on are opposite from each other.

In facts camouflages by these days varied very much according to the aircraft manufacturer and manufacturing date.

I'm still away from my house in Milan and I don't have much documentation with me, but In know that the three tone camo of the plane in background is older then the two tones camo in the foreground.

Worth of notice is also the different configuration of the white Savoy cross on the rudder.
Alberto

Isn't there an interesting story behind the "Electric Man" or am I thinking of something else?

Still according to the above book, the badge was inspired by the one by then used by "Cesena Calcio", the soccer club of Cesena, a city not far from the Adriatic riviera and two different versions of the badge were in use

The first one had a round blue background and the motto (slogan): "ardisco, colpisco, meneinfischio"
ominoelettrico0001-vi.jpg

which freely translates into: I dare, I shot, I don't care.
Also worth of interest in this picture, obtained from an original photo, are the three-colour patches used to cover bullet holes.

The second, as shown on the second air-plane, had no background and no motto.
ominoelettrico20002-vi.jpg

Alberto

Hi,
I just obtained from e-bay a copy of this book:
Colorieschemimimetici-vi.jpg

It was printed for the first time in 1977 and reprinted with additions in 1994. I got a copy of the latter.
Here in Italy this book is considered a "must" on the camouflage of Italian aircraft between 1935 and 1943.
Included is an appendix showing camouflage patterns and colour samples
Colorieschemimimeticitab10-vi.jpg
Colorieschemimimeticitab14-vi.jpg

Text is in Italian with a summary in English.

If do you have an interest in a specific subject, please let me know, I'm almost sure that the answer is there.
Cheers
Alberto

I hope this is not in the wrong area. I am trying to get information on the paint scheme for the The Purest Form painting. Any information on the colors and markings would be greatly appreciated. Thanks you for your help on this matter.

Hi,
the above book concerns Regia Aeronautica colors and painting schemes while the profile you posted shows a Fiat G55 in Aeronautica Nazionale Repubblicana (ANR) camouflage.
As you surely know, briefly after the September 1943 armistice between the Allies and Italy, two different Italian air-forces were born: the so called Cobeligerant Air-force in the south and the ANR in the north.
As the ANR was on the German side, quite soon was requested to adopt German camouflage starting with the RLM 74/75/76 scheme.
This was done on the field by airmen, so many varieties were possible.

If you are interested in this subject, I would recommend to buy a copy of this book:

CamoufMarking-vi.jpg

I'm away from my home and I don't have the book with me, so I cannot tell you if there are pictures of "black 6" but I know that these two are present:

G5525f-vi.jpg

G55_yellow8-vi.jpg

As well as this profile:

giallo5side-vi.jpg

I think they will give you a better idea on what was the camou actually applied.
Cheers
Alberto

I see. This is a Fiat G.55A. It should be of RLM 74/75/76. OK. Let me see what more I can find......

Hi Vik,
if you are talking about the book on ANR camou, yes it's plenty of photos and color profiles and it's in English!.
The other one, as I mentioned, is in Italian with an English summary. Full of photos as well, with an appendix in color showing camouflage variations.
Alberto

I have this photo of a captured P-38 posted by V2 in the captured thread. Does anyone know if the plane had Italian markings on the wings?

Attachments

• P38_Italian_1.jpg
    P38_Italian_1.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 327

Users who are viewing this thread

Back