James Edgar Johnson, Leading British Ace

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

well i didn't expect anyone to get it from that view, i thought someone might know what mark of the spit he was flying at the time................

Maybe the mirror is indicitive of what Mk it is.....

But we can break it down alittle more I suppose...

Johnson scored 38 Victories... The pic shows 25 kills... He scored his first victory on June 26th, 1941... By September, he had reached Ace...

On Sept 27th, 1944 in Holland, he scored his 38th and last victory...

In March of 1943, Johnnie Johnnie was given command of the Kenley Spitfire Wing (Mk. 9's) which included two Canadian Squadrons. By September of 1943, his tally was 25 and the Canadian Kenley Wing accounted for 60 more victories...

So I would say that the pic is that of a MkIX...

Dammit....
I cant believe I have to say this, but I posted the wrong pic for Johnson...

The pic I posted is for Robert Samuel Johnson, American, not James Edgar Johnson, Brit...

Sorry Bout that.... I knew that mirror looked wrong....

Attachments

• johnson_johnnie.jpg
    johnson_johnnie.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 700
  • johnson.gif
    johnson.gif
    22.2 KB · Views: 709
Yeah, I just popped into this topic for a look and thought that must be a real rare shot of Johnnie Johnson, or a mistake....I read his story years ago, and he is generally referred to as the Top Scorer, 38 kills. - Although technically our Allies, the Russians were fighting a different kinda War, pretty much by the seat of their pants, initially...I don't know if it's really a fair comparison, the 'Western Front' as opposed to the 'Eastern Front'. - Both German and Russian pilots fought a cruel war compared to the German vs English + Allies in Europe proper...the scores indicate this. One aspect that's often overlooked too is that the Russians had Women pilots, who scored kills, Lydia Litvyak for one scored 12 [plus an observation balloon] out of 213 combat missions. - I take my hat off to them, they fought a real 'ballsy' War !...You could only imagine what happened to them if THEY were shot-down behind German lines...

Attachments

• raf_487__nz__sqn._chalks-up_another___hard_day_s_night__..._151.jpg
    raf_487__nz__sqn._chalks-up_another___hard_day_s_night__..._151.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 695
lesofprimus said:
Heres a better pic of Johnson...

that looks like robert johnson to me and i seem to recall thats how the side of his p-47 looked like.

i may be wrong so feel free to step in anyone.

i feel thats a p-47
firstly the cockpit looks too square for a spittie rather than bubbleshape.
and secondly the front screen joined at the top of the frame where the rear view mirror is v shaped whereas that front frame at the top is u shaped.

If it helps I am sure that it isn't a Spitfire. A Spitfire had a hatch like door on the port side below the canopy and this aircraft hasn't got one.
It certainly has the P47 look to it as a number of people have commented

Does anyone know Johnnie Johnsons aircraft codes at various times of his career, before he adopted the J EJ.
Chick56

Users who are viewing this thread

Back