Japan and Japanese (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Also remembered we used to have a talking time [a recorded voice, telling time when you dialled the number], 119, I think it's out of service, right now.

Here is an incomplete list:

You used to be able to call POP-CORN (767-2767) from any area code, and it would give you the time.

For the most part, this no longer exists. However, the U.S. Naval Observatory still maintains it's time telephone number: (202) 762-1401

Billy Connolly was very good. He had a stint about going on holiday with his family and getting the Bombay truts. Never laughed that hard i think.

In Japan
Police: 110
Firefighter & ambulance: 119
Coast guard: 118
:)

JCG.jpg

Source: JCG

In Australia all emergencies are on 000 (and 106 for the hearing impaired who can do the whole thing by text BUT NOT SMS) but in many (maybe all by now) areas 112 has recently been added.

People are encouraged to download the Emergency+ app for their phones as that provides the emergency services (police - ambulance - fire) with your GPS location.

If you need emergency help but do not (or cannot speak due to an intruder in the house or other reason) then the operator will ask you to press another number and if you do that police will be dispatched. Given that several women were murdered hours after calling 000 recently and the police did not respond for many hours this is not what I would call a true emergency service.

The phone number for all State Emergency Service units (for storm damage, flooding and bushfires, etc) is 132 500.

Last edited:
So in Japan they have a phone number to call the Coast Guard in an emergency? What am I missing here? :scratch:
Japan is the islands country and people are more familiar with waters than people in the continent.
These waters are often like a free way for neighbors to enter our territorial waters freely if pretended Japanese fishermen even in the daytime.
It is impossible for the coast guard to check them all without civilian cooperation.

Don't hesitate to call 118 anytime

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-yv_uwwmPI&t=34s

JCG protects Japanese waters

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9liWgylUpVA&t=11s

So in Japan they have a phone number to call the Coast Guard in an emergency? What am I missing here? :scratch:
Here in California, coastal areas can get a Coast Guard response by calling 911 - some municipalities here also have their own water-based force, much like New York city's Port Authority, too.

Last edited:
Even Kim Jong-un of North Korea dials '118' or its equivalent to inform the Japan Coast Guard of his satellite launch schedule in advance :)

I did not know but Japan is now serious about landing on the moon.
Don't be afraid of failure!

H2A rocket with Japan's lunar lander successfully lifts off

Users who are viewing this thread

• A4K
Back