Japan and Japanese (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

1948- Sengakuji temple, the graves of the 47 Ronin. This is an interesting story about loyalty.

Sengakuji-graves of 47 Ronin.jpg

My Mother holding the reins of "First Snow", Emperor Hirohito's favorite horse. Behind is "First Frost" also the Emperor's horse. Dad took this picture in the Imperial Palace in Tokyo in 1949 . The leopard coat that my Mother is wearing was made from 5 leopard skins that my Dad brought back from Africa in 1943. I think he paid $75 for all five. Leopards in those days were considered just nuisances that preyed on native tribe's cattle.

Mother with First Snow.jpg

My Mother holding the reins of "First Snow", Emperor Hirohito's favorite horse. Behind is "First Frost" also the Emperor's horse. Dad took this picture in the Imperial Palace in Tokyo in 1949 . The leopard coat that my Mother is wearing was made from 5 leopard skins that my Dad brought back from Africa in 1943. I think he paid $75 for all five. Leopards in those days were considered just nuisances that preyed on native tribe's cattle.

View attachment 739786
I think Dad bought those leopard skins in Nairobi, Kenya Colony, as it was known in 1943.

Earthquake in Western Afghanistan
(Statement by Foreign Minister KAMIKAWA Yoko)
October 8, 2023

1. I am deeply saddened by the large number of deaths and the extensive damage that was caused by the earthquake in Herat prefecture in western Afghanistan that occurred on October 7, 2023. We offer our condolences regarding the loss of life and to the bereaved families. I would like to express my heartfelt sympathy to the victims of the disaster.

2. Japan endeavors to swiftly provide necessary assistance, by collaborating with international organizations, so that the people in the affected areas can overcome the hardships they are facing.

3. Japan stands with the people of Afghanistan and will continue to work on the improvement of the humanitarian situation in Afghanistan.

It is well to consider the other side of this coin. How were Americans treated in Japan and countries under their control during the War? CNN is notorious for one-sided presentations.

I posted this as an example of both that and that these people in captivity, like so many Australians, and probably Americans, in Japanese "care" managed to produce so much art showing the conditions in their camps. It is the nearest we have of photos of the prisoners and their camps and day to day activities.

Further discussion gets into classified territory...
But we can at least agree that you can't keep dumping power into a beam if you want to propagate it through the atmosphere, it can't burn through the plasma that it created itself. That's the main point. And of course the choice of a laser wavelength is hugely important in trying to calculate this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back