Japanese Aircraft carrier submarines

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

oldcrowcv63

Tech Sergeant
Jan 12, 2012
Northeast North Carolina
Don't know if this video has been previously posted:

A Neat documentary describing the development and operational application of aircraft carrying (Modified, float-equipped, D4Y Judy) I-400 class Jumbo-submarines. is a reasonably good documentary despite its chronic misidentification of US aircraft (Calling Wildcat a 'Hellcat' and a B-25 a B-29) Pertinent to another forum thread is a discussion of the accuracy of bombing a point target from medium altitude.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VONJcgnkNmg

Utterly, David.

According to local wiki, there were 6 I-400s completed or incompleted.
I-404 was almost completed but bombed to be sunk at Kure naval port on July 28, 1945.
She was raised in December, 1951 to be steel scrap.

I-404 location image from Air raids on Kure port in 1945.

Kure port after Aug 1945.JPG

The worlds 1st near worldwide strategic delivery system... Some of those subs features weren't re-used/re-applied until the Hunter Killer Soviet subs like the Typhoon I think - wasn't that one a very wide bodied sub too?

Ah, Shinpachi-san, you just made my day!!! I had completely forgotten that from my childhood!! How awesome to get that memory back!! Thank you for that post! :thumbup:

I don't know, Mr. C. I don't recall the whole movie, just many of the scenes. Perhaps it was a B-movie trailer while I was watching Ultra-Man and Godzilla. But I clearly remember it. Clearly.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL1p1iGZYb8

I loved to watch Ultra-Man because as a kid it looks just like it was. A man in a suit that gets fight in a scale model city with scale model tanks, ships, fighter planes, artillery and helicopters. That was my childhood fantasy.

'Space Battlesub I400'/Submarine 707

Those Ultraman clips remind me of 'Star Fleet X-Bomber'. That Atragon is the first I've heard of it (although I'm a decade or so later) - the film styles and narrators voice would suggest mid 60's to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back