JAS 39 Gripen vs Eurofighter?

Which one in a dogfight?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yes.... Question is though, can the pilot....? :lol: :lol:

Does Eurofighter have IHMD (Integrated Helmet-Mounted Display)?

The Gripen can only reach 9 G in a glimse while the Eurofighter can maintain this, so the eurofighter is superior in a dogfight. (Although it'll most likely not ever end in a dogfight) And yes, the EF does have IHMD.

The Gripen can only reach 9 G in a glimse

I find that hard to believe, Soren. But I have no direct evidence to dispute it. Typically modern fighters are much more capable than their passengers. And 9 g sustained is not a magnificent feat for today's technologies.

Gripen has the worlds most advanced datalink system.... Isn't the Eurofighter only to operate from large airbases which can be too vulnerable. Gripen can operate from normal roads that's 800m long and 17m (sometimes only nine metres) wide and hide in peoples garages?

"The EWS 39 consists of a radar warner, jammer and countermeasures dispensers. The system is designed to handle all sorts of off-board, integrated and pod-mounted jammers, chaff and flare dispensers. Together, these contribute to making the Gripen the world's most capable and cost-effective combat aircraft in operation today"

"BOL, internationally recognized as today's most effective countermeasures dispenser, is used by the US F-14, F-15, the Eurofighter, the Tornado and the Swedish Viggen and Gripen."

They used to be able to fold the fin on the Viggen, so I guess that they can do it on the Gripen as well. But, who know...... :lol:
Many people have a double garage too....to fit their private destillery in.

:shock:Said too much!:shock: Please delete this comment.... :lol:

I find that hard to believe, Soren. But I have no direct evidence to dispute it. Typically modern fighters are much more capable than their passengers. And 9 g sustained is not a magnificent feat for today's technologies.

Even with a G-suit you can't stay conscious while pulling 9 G's for long Matt, so the pilot is the limiting factor. Only the advent of a new G-suit for the EF pilots allowed them to fly at a continous 9 G.

A cool video:
Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

Thankyou. But that does that have to do with the Gripen. You honestly think that the Gripen is airframe limited to "glimses" and cannot sustain high g maneuvers? C'mon. Sounds like French Airbus flight control limitations. No serious worldclass fighter manufacterer would impose such software limitations upon their equipment. That would be criminal.

9 G is alot, and AFAIK the Gripen can only maintain this for a short while - the Eurofighter with its excellent power to weight ratio and aerodynamics can maintain 9 G for as long as there is fuel however, the EF pilot also has the advantage of his better G-suit.

As to a/c limitations, well I'm not sure what the structural limit is for these two a/c - its high no doubt... 12 G ??

Some how I just find this hard to believe. The F-16 can handle 9 G and more as good as any aircraft, so I would think the Grippen could to.

Also can you please post some info on the EF Pilots "Better" G Suit...

The F-16 airframe can withstand 9 G and more yes, but the point is the a/c itself can't maintain it for more than a short while.

Btw I added another link specifically on the Libelle suit: Autoflug Libelle GmbH

The F-16 can't do 9 G for very long.

QUOTE]

I think I understand what you are saying. It cannot sustain a 9G turn indefinitely. This is true for the F-16. But I suspect that is a limitation derived from the quad redundant flight control algorithms and airframe loadout.

Same is true for the Gripen which has a T/Wr <1 @MSL. Since Gripen has just internal fuel enough to make a milk run to the local convenience store, Gripen will be necessarily loaded down with external tanks. Thus making those 9G sustained turns at altitude VERY unlikely.

I think some of the most telling facts about the "superiority" of the Gripen are the Swedish gov't wanting to re-engine the airplane and retiring -39As. Pretty telling for such a fantastic airframe. :rolleyes:

No airframe is that good so it can't be improved upon. Won't be long before they start to improve the Typhoon I think either....one way or another. That's what you do when you're in the top of the league and want to stay there.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ofcourse. But not one that is touted as a 5th gen fighter and is being marketed to the world as a leading contender for those airplanes that are. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gripen is "only" a 4.5 generation fighter and so is Eurofighter..... :lol: I think that the F-22 is the only operational fighter of the 5th generation, soon also to be the F-35....

You wait and see lucky, modern stealth technology might just go obsolete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back