Jet Aircraft that Flew in the 1940s

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi SparotRob.

Unfortunately, with so many aircraft to remember from WWII (more than 1,000), I have been proven to have a less than perfect memory on more than one occasion. No big deal, and it causes me to go look up things enough to realize that when they come out with the perfect memory recall pill, I shall need a prescription.

Now if only I can find my supply of money ...

Cheers!

Hi SparotRob.

Unfortunately, with so many aircraft to remember from WWII (more than 1,000), I have been proven to have a less than perfect memory on more than one occasion. No big deal, and it causes me to go look up things enough to realize that when they come out with the perfect memory recall pill, I shall need a prescription.

Now if only I can find my supply of money ...

Cheers!
No worries. Do what I do. Make stuff up.

The prototype was covered in Bearnase sauce, giving away it's origins. After it was washed off, it flew, leaving a trail of truffles behind it, on 24 Jan 50. Seriously, it is a decent-looking French aircraft, which makes it unusual in and of itself. Not exactly a slouch at 621 mph from a 1950 aircraft. The French must have taken note because some of the later jets are also pretty good-looking. I'm thinking of the Mirages up through the 4000 and the Rafale.

They obviously learned from the Farmans et al that scaring the air in front of the airplane didn't make it any faster, so they might as well make the airplane better looking, or something like that, to help sales. It's not like the French can't come up with beautiful things, they just have to fit it all in between chasing women, baking bread, writing poetry, making wine and cheese, and collecting small dogs and weird small cars. Perhaps this explains the relative dearth of pretty French airplanes.

To quote Jimmy Buffet, "The warm summer breezes and French wines and cheeses, put his ambitions at bay ..."

Hi Graeme. Thanks for looking and being interested!

I think the Nord 1601 flew in 1950.

I think the Fouga C.M.8.R flew in 1952.

Could be wrong ...

Hi Greg.
Always interested in learning new types.
Yeah, my bad on the Nord. For the Jet-powered Sylphe - I have the first flight on July 14 1949. My source could be wrong.

If we consider the Caproni, then maybe these two - the Sukhoi Su-5 and MiG I-250(N)?

Scan0900.jpg

Scan0901.jpg

Edit: Second thoughts - you probably don't wanna see props?

Last edited:
The Mirages are beautiful. Not F-106 beautiful, but beautiful.
Hi Greg.
Yeah, my bad on the Nord. For the Jet-powered Sylphe - I have the first flight on July 14 1949. My source could be wrong.

If we consider the Caproni, then maybe these two - the Sukhoi Su-5 and MiG I-250(N)?

View attachment 660394

View attachment 660395

If the Ryan Fireball counts than why not?

Let's say that if it has a turbojet, thermojet with piston compressor, or any other type of forced-air propulsion that supports combustion, it counts. The turboprop isn't jet-propelled, but it uses a jet engine for shaft horsepower, so I suppose it should count. That should open it up a bit.

I'm starting to understand why writing a new law is so difficult!

There are two P-51Ds that would *technically* qualify, though they were only test beds.

One of the tests, had a P-51D fitted with two XRJ-30 ramjets (one in each wingtip).

The other P-51D was fitted with two PJ31-1 Pulsejet engines, one under each wing.

This is just for fun, by the way - they shouldn't be on the list because they were just test aircraft and not intended for production.

Hi Greg.

View attachment 660394

View attachment 660395

And the Japanese Okha with the Tsu-11 engine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back