Jet Aircraft that Flew in the 1940s

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Mirages are beautiful.
It's amazing that French aircraft before the war were some of the most hideous and after the war some of the most handsome.

I remember seeing the Mirage 4000 and thinking this is what we needed to buy to replace the CF-101, CF-104 and CF-116.

DsPBP65PoO0ZOBLuJWDXPiHUZKtjGyE0xcHY0k0AyDQvLQuwVZ.jpg

The F-102, which looks very similar, came out at the same time.
They're at least a generation apart.

F-102, First flight Oct 1953, Introdued April 1956
Dassault Mirage 4000, First flight Mar 1979

Perhaps you mean the original Mirage III? They do look similar, true.

The F-102 was subsonic IIRC, needing the F-106 and its area rule to address the former's deficiencies.

It's amazing that French aircraft before the war were some of the most hideous and after the war some of the most handsome.

I remember seeing the Mirage 4000 and thinking this is what we needed to buy to replace the CF-101, CF-104 and CF-116.

View attachment 660588

Australia made the Mirage III under licence and had a massive supply problem with certain parts that the French did not licence.

In post #43 above, the Mirage 4000 is mentioned, but the picture is of a single-engine Mirage.

Mirage 4000 below:

dassault-4000.jpg

Decidedly twin-engine. Unfortunately, nobody bought it, so it remained a company demonstrator. Another company also made a company-funded fighter, the Northrop F-20, which ALSO never sold and remained a company airplane. The moral of the story would be:

Never developed a cutting-edge jet fighter without a firm order from a customer that makes the development profitable. If the customer is not your own country, you also had better make sure the sale is approved for foreign purchase before spending said money on development. If you develop an airplane without orders, the odds are not in your company's favor to sell it.

Last edited:
In post #43 above, the Mirage 4000 is mentioned, but the picture is of a single-engine Mirage.

Hi Greg - definitely an illusion. If you look closer - its the port engine you're seeing. The fin straddles both engines...

d60qe1t-34161e85-c7c7-4927-8357-612ba44acdd5.png

In profile it's very deceiving....

Scan0908.jpg

Mirage 4000 below:

View attachment 660733

Decidedly twin-engine. Unfortunately, nobody bought it, so it remained a company demonstrator. Another company also made a company-funded fighter, the Northrop F-20, which ALSO never sold and remained a company airplane. The moral of the story would be:

Never developed a cutting-edge jet fighter without a form order from a customer that makes the development profitable. If the customer is not your own country, you also had better make sure the sale is approved for foreign purchase before spending said money on development. If you develop an airplane without orders, the odds are not in your company's favor to sell it.

Wow...seeing that pic of the Mirage 4000 brings back some long-forgotten memories. My family took me to the 1987 Farnborough Airshow as a treat before I joined up. The Mirage was one of the aircraft displayed. Shame it never saw operational service as it could have done good work (IMHO).

Hi Greg - definitely an illusion. If you look closer - its the port engine you're seeing. The fin straddles both engines...

View attachment 660758

In profile it's very deceiving....

View attachment 660757

Well, I stand corrected, Buffnut.

I always thought the Mirage 4000 was a sure bet to sell (I figured at LEAST Canada or the Saudis would get some), but it didn't and, to this day, I can't understand why. It definitely outperformed the singe engine Mirages II and 2000. SHOULD have been a real winner for Dassault and wound up a non-starter. Perhaps the avionics weren't quite up to the performance of the airframe yet. I can't really say why it failed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back