Ju 88 L1+CK

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

sidnik77

Recruit
Feb 21, 2021
Does anyone have photos of the Ju 88 L1+CK of lehrgeschwaders 1?
There is a book about the wing written by Peter Taghon and i was wondering if there are any information about this particular aeroplane it's crew, loss and any photos.

Thank you for the answer,
i am not familiar with the luftwaffe designations,
the plane i am looking for was shot down in Psara Greece on the 13th of December 1943.
From the crew the two names i know are of Samland, no name known,
and Gert Winterfeld the rest of the crew names are unknown.

I have found this picture,
since it's an A4 model and the L1 is not visible,
is there a chance of the code on the left of the cross being from another wing?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-24 184208.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-24 184208.png
    279.6 KB · Views: 7
Additionally, looking at the markings I would say the "C" letter with the white outline was of the red colour. Unfortuanately the colour also could be used by the 2, 5, 8 Staffel of the gruppe I, II, III of the LG 1. Because there is the last letter "K" it means the Ju-88 belonged to the 2./LG 1 Staffel IIRC. The lack of the "L1" may be caused by the censorship or the marking was reduced to the small variant used omitted because of the pic ( still frame ) quality.. Unfortuantely the other regiments could used the same way of marking and the lack of the unit code may make the full ID almost impossible.

Please clarify something,
according to the lettering the aeroplane having the K as it's last letter belongs to the II Gruppe and it's symbol is the knight on the cross.
I was sure that it belonged to the I Gruppe, the griffons, and this was backed up by the fact that when the Gruppe attacked Bari on the 13th of December 1943 it's base was Eleusis.
In this time period the II Gruppe was stationed in Wiener-Neustadt.
I am confused.

No ... the "K" letter means the 2 Staffel of the I Gruppe. In other words ... 2./LG1 of the I Gruppe of the LG1. The II Gruppe had the letters for its squadrons 4, 5, 6 ... M, N, P,
The letters for the I Gruppe and its 1, 2, 3 Staffeln were H, K, L.
Additionally, the colours of the individual letters of an aircraft indicate the Staffel of each Gruppe. The colours were the white, the red and the yellow respectively.

For example ... in the case ( assuming the regiment is the LG 1 ) ... omitting the Stab planes ...
the I Gruppe consisted of three Staffeln 1, 2, 3. The II Gruppe of 4, 5, 6 and the III Gruppe of the 7, 8, 9

So the markings on the fuselage were ...

the I Gruppe of the LG1 ...

for the 1 Staffel
L1+ white C and black H

for the 2 Staffel
L1+ red C and black K ( the red letters were of the white outline usually )

for the 3 Staffel
L1+ yellow C and black L

For the II Gruppe the layout of the unit markings was the same but ended with the black letters M, N, P respectively. The same for the III Gruppe but the ending letters were R, S, T. If there was more of the Gruppe in the regiment the ending letters for the Staffel were U, V, W for the IV Gruppe and X, Y, Z for the V Gruppe.
Because the red colour for the individual letter was assigned to the second Staffel of each Gruppe so the planes marked with the Red "C" could be either of the 2 Staffel of the I Gruppe or 5 Staffel of the II Gruppe or 8 Staffel of the III Gruppe. Also of the 11 and 14 Staffel of the next two Gruppe if there was more of them.

I hope I have explained that correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back