Junkers Ju 188 in Norway....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
Being that I've tried to get my dirty mittens one of them Dragon 1/48 Ju 188E-1's (A-1's) for some time, I was wondering, who flew them and where were they based, want to turn it into a recon version if possible, think that some were based at Kirkenes with Aufkl. Gr.22, or something...

Hopefully they'll be reissued (Revell, are you reading?)....

Found this, but as I said, it's and D-1...

20.02.45, 1.(F)/124, West of Andøya, Missing under recon mission, Ju 188D-1, 230423, G2+XH,

Ofw. Wilhelm Conradi (F) Missing
Uffz. Horst Schaper (B) Missing
Uffz. Walter Bareis (Bf) Missing
Obgefr. Rudolf Umlauf (Bm) Missing
Gefr. Alexander Kolaschnik (Bs) Missing

A little something to wet your whistle as I search, first for the books and then the info.

jan.JPG

Geo

You might want to have a drink or two until I get back.....

Geo

From some quick reading, the D-1 was a converted A-1 with the bomb aimer and forward gun removed and additional fuel cells. A brief recon has found no photos.

Last edited:
I still find the Ju 88 story fascinating. If you think about it, the Mosquito did not exist and nor did the P51 when the Ju 88 entered service. A machine that could drop a substantial bonbload, then dogfight it's way home. The A26 could achieve this, but that wasn't until near the end of WW2. They (the Hierachy) never did get a true 4 engine bomber into service though, did they...thankfully.

Excellent Geo! :thumbright: That's my bird.....well, you know what I mean! :lol:
Question is though, how the (insert your choice of colourful vocabulary here) the best way to do those squiggles(?).....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back