Just have to share Airbrush News!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think a lot of it has to do with the relative humidity where you are working. My step Dad had a big compressor in the garage. We used it for all manner of things with no moisture traps at all. Of course that was in Connecticut. Then one day the bottom blew off. We estimate at least a gallon of water splattered all over. It had been building up in the tank probably for years, and eventually rusted right through the bottom. There was a drain plug on it but no one could ever remember it being used. You can bet after we replaced it we drained it every time the clocks changed to and from DST. Always got a bit of water out of it.

This is my current setup. I am in a Condo so I don't have room for a large compressor. I still have my previous compressor but this one is MUCH quieter and works really well for me.

IMG_0049.JPG

The spray booth sits directly above it. That gray flexible tube is the exhaust hose that I stick out the window when I am spraying.

IMG_0047.JPG

You can see the small moisture trap at the end of the airhose. I have never had moisture in that one yet. But the one directly on the compressor I have gotten some dribs and drabs out of on occasion.

You can see the small moisture trap at the end of the airhose. I have never had moisture in that one yet. But the one directly on the compressor I have gotten some dribs and drabs out of on occasion.

I've had a few set ups over the years, all with a moisture trap attached to the compressor output rather than the end of the hose and, like you, have collected some water in that trap. I've never felt the need to have a second trap, nor have I ever had any issue with moisture passing through the first trap. I think you might be going for a 'belt and braces' approach with your two traps, but then you can be sure that your metaphorical trousers won't fall down :)
Cheers
Steve

When you release pressure the condensed air cools and cool air cannot hold the moisture of warm air thus condensation. These tanked compressors generally have drain valves at the bottom to allow the removal of condensed water. Vehicles with air brakes, e.g., have these water bleed valves at each brake cylinder. In the winter collected water can actually freeze locking-up the brake. The bleed can also be automatic when the vehicle is shut off. Steel SCUBA tanks would rust on the inside due to trapped water. The tankless compressors still buildup a head of compressed air ahead of the regulator so once again on release moisture condenses preferably in a trap if so equipped. These traps have a spring valve at the bottom to release any water collected.
My Testors is tankless and you can just see the moisture trap at the bottom of the regulator
DCP_1435.JPG

What I have seen, was I used to have a clear air hose, and moisture would show up in that past the first trap, usually I could just blow it out by running air flat out through the hose but after seeing that a couple of times I added the trap at the far end. But so far seem not to have needed it.

Robert your tank-type compressor operates a bit differently than the tankless-types (besides the obvious). Compressing air heats it and expanding cools it. Hot air hold more moisture than cold. Sooo...the air in your tank is warm as it is fresh from the compressor and at 100psi, thus holding water. Your air-line was acting as a cooler for this hot air, thus the water condensed in the air line.
My tankless compressor might go to 40-50psi before the regulator. From the regulator air expands into the water trap bowl cooling and then through a brass filter. Additionally the air is swirled in the bowl before exiting.
In commercial compressed air systems, a 30-40ft long pipe leads to the first traps thus cooling the hot tank air. Then there is a drop pipe with a valve for draining this water
PipingLayout.gif

I'm right behind you Robert but just starting my airbrush journey. Just started practicing for the first time a few nights ago and have a lot to learn. My first painful lesson was not cleaning acrylic paint out quick enough. Made it a bear to clean but live and learn. I think I will probably end up using enamels mostly but just because I already have a lot of them. I really need to master my paint mixture but I think I took naturally to actually controlling the airbrush. A couple of things I need to invest in are some eye droppers for mixing and a squeeze bottle / cleaning pot. Used a spent pickle jar but not an optimal solution.

I think I have the same compressor as you and am really impressed with it. I was expecting a piece of junk for 100 bucks but It's a great size and very quiet. A heck of a lot quieter than my pneumatic tool compressor that could raise the dead.

Bad-K don't start with paint. Start with plain water, spray on cardboard, experiment with different pressures, nozzles, ect. When you feel you have the basics down pat, add some food coloring to your water and paint paper, make spots, lines, broad areas, ect.
Again when you feel confident get some Styrofoam take out containers and some cheap acrylic paint. Practice painting all the contours and flat areas, get a feel for varying pressures and paint volume. Watch for drips, runs, orange peel, ect.
Now you're ready to paint a cheap test model
Practice...Practice...Practice...Don't hurry. Rome wasn't built in a day...it just looks that way!

A heck of a lot quieter than my pneumatic tool compressor that could raise the dead.

I used one of those when I first started airbrushing until the noise annoyed the rest of the family so much they let me buy a hobby compressor. Not to mention it used to scare the s-h-1-t out of me when it suddenly fired up in the middle of trying to airbrush a line which made it turn out something like this

pulse.jpg

Bad-K don't start with paint. Start with plain water, spray on cardboard, experiment with different pressures, nozzles, ect. When you feel you have the basics down pat, add some food coloring to your water and paint paper, make spots, lines, broad areas, ect.
Again when you feel confident get some Styrofoam take out containers and some cheap acrylic paint. Practice painting all the contours and flat areas, get a feel for varying pressures and paint volume. Watch for drips, runs, orange peel, ect.
Now you're ready to paint a cheap test model
Practice...Practice...Practice...Don't hurry. Rome wasn't built in a day...it just looks that way!

Those are great tips, thanks! I especially like the styrofoam take out container idea as I think that is much more applicable than flat paper.

I used one of those when I first started airbrushing until the noise annoyed the rest of the family so much they let me buy a hobby compressor. Not to mention it used to scare the s-h-1-t out of me when it suddenly fired up in the middle of trying to airbrush a line which made it turn out something like this

View attachment 371240

Hahaha exactly what I was trying to avoid! Pre family I didn't give a second thought about these things. I have a 1967 GTO that I used to wrench on well into the middle of the night. Compressor blaring, engine reving, tools whirring and clanging. Now with a newborn and a 2 year old I'm afraid to even let out a fart!

I really DON'T want to know into what you plug that hose.....

I think Mike said it all! lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back