'Kitech' kits - any experience?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
I'm considering getting the 'Kitech' 1/48th scale EF-111, as a cheap subject for a future GB. I've only seen one photo of a completed model, which looked reasonable.
Has anyone ever built any of this companies kits, and if so, any comments?
I must admit, for the very cheap price from this particular source, even if the kit is a 'bag of nails', it will probably fulfil it's purpose.
Any and all comments gratefully received.

Bag of hammers is more like it. That's what you will want, to get it to go together right. Nothing fit on the F-16 I got. Mismatched sizes on the wings,(IIRC), and the canopy was thick and crazed beyond polishing. Decals were totally useless, they were bright blue and pink stripe for the U.S. national markings, and they did not merely shatter in water, they dissolved! Unless you need a challenge, or a reason to bang your head against the wall, save your money.

I don't recall who it was Terry but someone on this forum was building Kitech kits a year or two ago. Never did one myself and based on what I've heard, not sure I'll ever want to. Shades of Buccaneer all over again!

I have their JU88-A4 in 1/48 and it's not an overly impressive model and even their artwork on the boxtop leaves a lot to be desired. If you are looking for something to eat up a lot of free time and money, then this is the kit for you.

However, I will say if anybody can make this a stunner, it would be you.

Thanks for the feed-back guys. I now remember, I think it was Mike Wint, building their Ju-88, which appeared to be a badly moulded copy of the Hobbycraft kit (the original HC kit is OK, although normal HC standard). In which case, there's a good chance the Kitech EF-111 is a poor HC kit, which itself gets terrible reviews.
Thanks chaps, I'll give it a miss ! (was only £9.99 - and probably for a good reason !!).

Already got the original Hobbycraft kit, converted to an A-5 from the BoB some years ago David!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back