Hello Parsifal
on your message #16, in my copy of Zetterling's and Frankson's Kursk 1943 (2000) p.124 the text is:
"Thus, the German forces operating in the vicinity of Kursk lost 193 aircraft shot down while performing 27,221 sorties. OF COURSE, FURTHER AIRCRAFT MAY HAVE BEEN (emphasises mine) written off when damaged..."
To me, not a native speaker, the meanings are different, may meaning the possibility and in your version it is given as a fact.
I'll check later what are the sources used by Wood and Gunston, I have a copy of their book which is a bit popular, plenty of big photos and a bit doubtful colour profiles and published by Leisure Books. Gunston is a great popularizer but sometimes a bit cavalier with his facts. On the other hand I respected greatly Tony Wood. IIRC the book did not have notes but I'll check is there info on from which they have got their loss figures.
On your message #10, I have doubts that VVS aircrews entered combat with only 20 hours flying time. when I'll have time I'll check my copies on FAF intelligence reports on VVS training, which IIRC are translations from LW intelligence reports.
Juha