Lancaster fun

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bomber,

To be honest my experince with the Lancaster was great as I said. I actually found it very roomy. Like you said the cockpit is very crampt but once I got past there I found more room then I normally would in a bomber of its type. I am 6'3" so for me that's a completement. Part of the fact is that the canadian lancaster does not have the seat or controls in it for the top turrent. All that is there is bubble and the machine guns mounted through it.

I was surpised to find I didnt have to squeeze through the bomb racks on the inside. On a B-17 you have to walk on a plat form about 8" wide. I bet it would be quite a site if you had to walk across this with bomb bay doors open and the german's shooting up at you from below.

The navigation table in the lancaster seemed very large to me also. It looked to be around 4 feet long by 3 feet wide. A B-17 navigation table is around 3 feet by 2 feet plus the radio is mounted on top of the table. The Lancaster I toured had nothing on the table. I wish now I would have taken a picture of it.

I also was very surprised that the Lancaster didnt have any side mounted machine guns like a B-17 or B-24 bomber. From what I could see there was plenty of room. Guess bomb load was more of a factor for them.

They really didnt give us as much time as I would have liked on the inside. It cost me $5.00 to tour the aircraft for about 3 to 4 minutes. Which to me is really cheap for such a priceless artifact. All money goes to keeping the bomber flying and touring. Lots and lots of people where waiting in line. I think I waited at least a half an hour before I was able to get in. It was anouced at the airshow this year that the lancaster crew wants to come back in 2007 so will wait and see. If it does I will tour the aircraft again.

Ive been lucky to tour the following aircraft

B-17 Aluminum Cloud
B-17 Thunder bird
B-25 Pacific Prawler
B-25 Eaa
Ju-52 Commerative Airforce
B-24 Dimond Lil
SBD Dougles Dauntless

All the aircraft tours cost me between 3 to 5 dollars which to me is cheap. If you really want to be in a tight aircraft then try a B-25. Just crawling through the tunnel to the nose is a challenge especially for us tall people. Then to get into the tail of the aircraft you have to climb over the bomb bay.

Hopefully this answer's you question. Its just awstruck to be able to tour aircraft of any type and it does make you think of all the people that died on both sides just that we can be free.

Micdrow

Here are a couple of more pictures of the inside of the lancaster and you can see what I mean about room

Enjoy Micdrow

Attachments

• scan1.jpg
    scan1.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 50
  • scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 52
dang, i wish i was on the desktop now :lol: it probably wont come as any supprise to you to hear that i have a picture of the navigator's table for you, plus pictures of pretty much anything else you could want :lol: so maybe tomorrow, but it's nice to see the inside of the canuck lanc again last time i saw a pic she was in her yellow primer before annother coat of paint inside..............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back