Lancaster Landing

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

OMG. Now you know why they don't fly that one Lanc in the UK. It only takes a second. I bet the owners had a bit of pucker factor. That's some strong gear. Suprised the tire didn't pop off the rim. Are those original tires (I would find that hard to believe) or are they newly manufactured. My explain why they didn't de-rim. Probably radials with steel reinforcement.

OMG. Now you know why they don't fly that one Lanc in the UK. It only takes a second. I bet the owners had a bit of pucker factor. That's some strong gear. Suprised the tire didn't pop off the rim. Are those original tires (I would find that hard to believe) or are they newly manufactured. My explain why they didn't de-rim. Probably radials with steel reinforcement.
I believe they all us original tires
I know the Lanc up here does , the 109 uses noses tires of a B57

This IS the one flying Lancaster in the UK and it belongs to the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (BBMF) of the RAF; the only other flying one is the Canadian Mk X. If it's the incident I think it is, this was a few years ago and the undercarriage legs, mountings et al had to be repaired. Unfortunately, this all happened only a few days before one of the Million Poppy drops up the Mall in London. Of course, there aren't many Lanc undercarriage assemblies lying around so the bird had to be trestled, the undercarriage removed while the main structure was checked, and all the components sent away, re-worked, refurbished and replaced in about 3 or 4 days. She made her date with the Queen and public as scheduled, but it was touch and go......

Although the experts could 3-point a Lanc regularly it could rapidly get out of hand :shock: as evidenced by this vid; the safest way to land one was a 'wheeler' and that's the technique used by BBMF these days.

Looks like application of brakes before main gear settled. Anyone notice it also looked like a long landing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back