'Langnasen Dora' Fw 190D-9's (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Right, how do you tell the difference between the two?
If it's the way it looks, I'd guess that the cowling on this one, is the 5 piece one, or am I wrong?
Think that I'll go for a blown canopy then....

Im not sure what is in the Eduard Late D-9 Kit, but if its like the others, you have to engrave some lines on it...

Can't remember what's in them, I'll have a look, but with these 1/32 Hasegawa D-9 (later molds) they look like 5 piece cowlings....
Btw, is it possible that any of these D-9's used the Ta-152 tail?

Only 2 known with Ta152 tail, however highly likely there was a short series of them...but at this time only in the 5006xx range of W.Nr's including 500645-647..and ?

Now don't confuse Jan too much Dan....:D

Yeah, only a short series of D-9* (as I refer to them in my notes) with the Ta 152 Tail... Estimates seem to begin at 3, the number 4 is commonly quoted, but the fact is, there is a big gap above and below to the next known WNr's... However, I'm collecting as many of those D-9/Ta152 fuselages as possible, for my little 'prototype' projects one day...

ALSO, dont forget that some LATE A-8/A-9's also used the 'common tail' as it was to known... I'd like to find more images of those a/c actually... Anyone???

Oh and spirals, yes... JG 301 did not have a 'typical' type of spiral from memory - so just go with some generic; 1.5 turns long, 1/5th the spinner in width as per regulations. Regulations also said RLM22 (Satin Black) spinner, but it seemed just as common to leave the spinner in RLM70 (Black-Green) and spiral over that!

The top two spinners are JG301....

DSCF0002-154.jpg

DSCF0003-151.jpg

DSCF0004-128.jpg

DSCF0005-117.jpg

DSCF0006-96.jpg

DSCF0007-86.jpg

DSCF0008-81.jpg

DSCF0009-80.jpg

Focke-Wulf
D-9 210001 - 210300 (300) Sep-44 to Dez-44
D-9 210901 - 211200 (300) Nov-44 to Jan-45 *210913, 211115 and 211164 fits in here.*
D-9 211901 - 211950 ( 50) Jan-45
D-9 212101 - 212170 ( 70) Jan-45 to Feb-45
D-9 213081 - 213100 ( 20) Mar-45
D-11 220001 - 220017 ( 17) Feb-45 to Mar-45

Well, as Clemens' D-9 (Wk. Nr. 210913) is in the same 'block' (I think), I'm gonna go out on a limb here (or how you say it) and paint the under wings like Wk. Nr. 211115 and Wk. Nr. 211164, minus the unpainted landing gear doors. Also, as both have both versions of the canopy, I've decided to go with the 'blown' variant. Still cant decide for the type of 'Red 13', kinda ever so slightly lean towards the more rounded style (b*ll*cks! This is hard! :lol: )

DSCF0001-172.jpg

DSCF0002-155.jpg

D-9's are a pain in the arse, big time! Christ knows why I choose to make them my primary topic.. Then again, virtually NOTHING is definitively provable about them, so you can really go to town on the research and make up your own mind (like i think Japo and EE and etc, get the lower wings of 211164 wrong!) - makes life interesting! Regarding wings, there seems to be a 'mix' of undersides styles within sub-blocks, so unless you have a definitive reference, you can pretty much pick your favourite out of the styles used within the block. The W2 type seems to be the most popular after the first block; take your pick between RLM76 (or the variant shades), RLM75 or RLM83... There is even evidence of RLM81 at times! hahaha

Canopies; there is definately a theorised 'line in the sand', after which the fitting of the 'Galland Hood' (Blown) seemingly became standard on the production a/c - however, there are SO many cases of replacements (Flat replaced with Blown, Blown replaced with flat - there is even evidence that a Ta 152H flew with a 'early' style flat canopy) that this too, is only a guide!

Then there is the case of overhauled a/c, that because of the overhauling (or large scale repair), break all the rules regarding camoflage colours/patterns of their particular block... THAT really makes life hard! prime example is 601088, which ends up looking nothing like a 601xxx series a/c, even down to the fact it appears to have had a wing set replaced, with an A-series wing set!

Spinner - I'd inclined to go something between 1. and 2.; 1. looks too thin for typical JG 301 (and was probably a transferred a/c), while 2. seems too thick at the base of the spiral. Again, if in doubt, a) see the 'typical' Jagdgeschwader style or b) see regulations! :)

Cheers Zaggy, appreciated!
Can only play by ear then and listen to ones guts... :lol:
Get the resin cockpit at some point soon, question is though, Aires or EE? :lol:

Last edited:
Holy ****! That EE cockpit looks incredible! The only problem with going to town on the D-9 cockpit is, even with the canopy open, you can't really see that much! I'm looking at a 1:48 Ta 152 at the moment (which has no centre console) and without canopy, and belts and etc, I am hard pressed to see the Rudder pedals; let alone the extra wiring I added behind the panels. My STRICTLY PERSONAL opinion is that anything much beyond the panels, seat and rear wall armour is wasted on a Fw 190 - unless you want to do something with peeled back skin after crashing?

For me, the cockpits found in the DML/Dragon and the Eduard kits are 95-98% - the area's that need addressing are of course the Wheel Wells and the Radiators!

Still, that EE set is just WOAH!!!! :)

Hmmm, I cant say ****... Lets see if I can make a rows of stars appear...

**** **** **** **** **** **** **** hehehehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back