Large scale model Merlin engine.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ian lanc

Senior Airman
Sep 30, 2007
mansfield, nottinghamshire
Hi Guys,

I've been asked if anyone makes a large scale Merlin Engine as used in Lanc's spit's etc, scale around 1/5th, 1/12th, 1/24th.

I've been asked if i could make a model of a Merlin and set it on a wood plynth :oops:

After looking around on Google i found this..................

Fine Art Models - Rolls Engine

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

thanks.

ian.

Last edited:
Great find Ian! At $1,500 though, (and $15,000 for a 1:15 Corsair :)shock: !!!) I think I'll pass!

Airfix's 1:24 scale Spitfire Mk.Ia comes with a Merlin, their Hurricane probably does as well.
(My Spit's in NZ unfortunately, otherwise you could have had mine..)

Yep, all the Airfix 1/24th scale kits have engines, but it's still a bit small to be a display model in its own right, it would only be about 75mm in length. A larger scale, say 1/12th . 1/8th or 1/4 would look ok, and if it was just needed to look like a Merlin, and not have working parts, it should be fairly simple to make. It could be done in plastic card and tube, or a combination of plastic, wood and thin alluminium or brass sheet. Or you could do what a chap did in the 1970's, for the Model Engineering exhibition in London. He made a 1/4 scale, working Merlin, with a prop, and ran it two or three times per day at the show!

You might want to look into this babe.

Corgi were bringing them out a few years back but I havent seen anything since.

Attachments

• ww6.jpg
    ww6.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 1,286

Users who are viewing this thread

Back