learning

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Sorry but I haven't read that book. So it is difficult to me to say if it is good or not. I would say you should have a look for the book recommended by Airframes , the post #32 on the previous page of the thread. The pic below. The book should be very helpful for you

As far as the German attack on the Gleiwitz radio station is concerned... It was a provocation in order to give Hitler a reason for invading Poland. The radio announcement was sent in Polish. In the way Germans wanted to make a false impression for the radio listeners that the attack was done by Poles. Also the shoots were going to highlight the impression and make the attack blameworthy. You have remember that in the 30' the radio was the powerful media. And all what was broadcasted in that time , was considered as true.

book-001-jpg.jpg

Yes it is. But there are mistakes often. So some info may need to be clarified and corrected.

i've purchased a world war 2 e book which is interesting, it's short/bite sized but to the point. I'm reading about the winter war and im stuck. Here is what's in the book, Stalin, knowing that his country's pact with Germany would not last indefinitely, sought a buffer zone against any future German attack. By June 1940, he had bullied Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania into co-operation, swiftly followed by full annexation. What i don't understand is what is a buffer zone? Also by full annexation, does that mean that those country's became part of Russia?

What i don't understand is what is a buffer zone?

The buffer zone mens that Stalin moved the borderline of the USSR as much to the West as possible. Therefore he invaded Poland on 17th September 1939 seizing the part of Lithuania, Belarusia and Ukraine that belonged to Poland at that time. Having the areas occupied he could move the front line of the defence much forward ( outward ).

Also by full annexation, does that mean that those country's became part of Russia?

Yes this means exactly that.

Last edited:
Generally, yes it can be said in that way.

However you have to remember that the Soviet Union and the Nazi Germany had been allies before Hitler's attack on the USSR in 1941.

[So buffer zone is a country between two hostile countries
A buffer protects by slowing or reducing the impact of something. "Buffers" are installed at the end of a railway line to prevent damage from low speed shunting accidents. A buffer state lies between two other states toe reduce tensions and increase distances between two rival countries. The idea of Belgium was to create a neutral state between France and Germany and so reduce tensions between them. It didn't work too well. For Stalin being in control of half of Poland and the Baltic states meant Germany had to attack over a much longer distance before he reached Moscow,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back