learning (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yes.it is. The site presents the general info about the Battle for France.

how can i word this into a short fact from Battle of France
By pushing through the region Germany planned on dividing the Allied forces and circling around the Allied soldiers in order to trap them and cut them off from Allied support.

By attacking through the Ardennes Forest, Germans wanted to flank Allied Forces and cut off their support..

By attacking through the Ardennes Forest, Germans wanted to flank Allied Forces and cut off their support.. Whats flank, is it to stop? Shall i put stop instead of flank?

It's up to you only. If you think you need more facts to keep in mind you may add a couple of them more.

I have done more short facts on the battle of France and Dunkirk but I'm getting confused. The bit that I'm not sure about is, Germans circled the allied forces and cut them off from allied support, what's another way of saying this please? I know the Belgian army was separated from British and French but it's wording it. The other confusion is British and French forces were driven towards the coast. I've also put in my facts list 388,000 soldiers rescued from Dunkirk over several weeks.

I have done more short facts on the battle of France and Dunkirk but I'm getting confused. The bit that I'm not sure about is, Germans circled the allied forces and cut them off from allied support, what's another way of saying this please?

Just say: They were bottled up and cut off from military support.

I know the Belgian army was separated from British and French but it's wording it.

The Belgian Army wasn't separated from the British and French troops. Please look at the dates ...
On 26th May 1940 the Dunkirk evacuation was started.
And the Belgium capitulated on 27th May 1940. Can you see. ?

The Belgian Army kept fighting together with Brits and French soldiers untill the Belgium capitulated. The Belgians were the "rear guard" of the Allied retreat and kept the eastern line of the defence at the Dunkirk along the French-Belgian borderline.. Because of the capitulation the soldiers gave up and left their positions there. For the reason, the Brits had to use their own forces to keep the eastern line of defense saved. Is that clear now?

The other confusion is British and French forces were driven towards the coast.

Not sure why it is unclear...

Ok, I'm trying to learn from various websites and they all say different things. What do I need to know about the various battles during Ww2?

There was a lot of battles during the WW2. It is quite difficult to say what you need to know. Many of them became the turnigs points of the war while other ones affected the war to a minor extent. In my humble opinion you may go through many of them keeping the timeline.. You just finished the Battle for France and you may start the Battle of Britain for instance.

You might find the book shown below to be very helpful, as it covers WW2 from start to finish, month by month, year to year, describing all major events, and the major battles and campaigns, with maps, photos and diagrams etc., and it's a very useful basic guide to use as a 'starting point'.
It was first published in 1974, and is probably now out of print, but a copy can probably be found at one of the online sources, such as Abe Books or Amazon, and shouldn't cost too much.

Book 001.jpg

Let me get this straight, the Germans went through the Ardennes forest to France where they encircled the British and French forces cutting them off from the rest of the troops?

Have i got enough information on the battle of france so i can move on to battle of britain? have i done too many facts, can some be worded differently?

Outbreak of World War 2 - 1939, Germans attack Poland
Blitzkrieg used against Poland
After attack on Poland, Britain and France declare War against Germany
Phoney War – 8 months of no fighting
May 1940-Battle of France/German invasion of France and Low countries.
Blitzkrieg used against France, Belgium and Holland
Germans bypassed Maginot line - attacked France through Ardennes forest.
Maginot Line – French line of defence (heavily fortified) along France's eastern border
By attacking through the Ardennes Forest, the Germans wanted to encircle Allied Forces and cut them off from Allied support.
Allied troops were driven towards the British Channel.
British and French forces gathered at Dunkirk and waited to be evacuated
Dunkirk evacuation – Late May – Early June 1940
338,000 British soldiers were rescued from Dunkirk over several weeks.
Dunkirk evacuation lasted 6 weeks

That's OK. You may added the date when the Paris got occupied. Also when and where the France capitulated. And it will be the end of the Battle for France. And you may move to the Battle of Britain.

are these correct?
June 14 1940 – Paris occupied by Germany

France surrendered to Germany – June 25 1940

The first one is correct.

The second one should be:

France surrendered to Germany – June 22 1940

Users who are viewing this thread

Back