Least Purty Aircraft of WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This is a new low for you 38. Even lanc is abusing you. I bet you're loving this aren't you, lanc? For once someone else is getting all the flak.

P38 Pilot said:
But that Plane is like mini-me! That little squirt looks like something a 5 year old would fly!

Actually it does kind of look like those toy plane rides they have in front of super markets where you put 50 cents in and it rocks back and forth and makes noices. You know the things for kids are supermarkets.

the lancaster kicks ass said:
not as "dumb" as your spelling....

Errrr...I cant see any spelling mistakes in his post...Other than the lower case I its fine...

;)

I went on one of those kiddy rides a few months back. I was told to get off, probably a good thing you as I could hear the motor making oodd whirring noises. :lol:

.. probably the Duce, to state the superiority of Fascism, wanted to have an Italian airplane fatter than the Gee-Bee racers!

Seriously, it was an experimental plane to study the jet propulsion. It lead to the Caproni-Campini CC1 of the pic, a thermo-jet where the airstream was generated by a conventional Otto engine. The concept was made obsolete by the development of the turbojet engines.
The CC1 took the air on mid 1940 and was believed to be the first jet plane to fly until it was found that the Heinkel 178 flew in August 1939.

Engineer Campini after the war went in USA where he worked at Northrop for the flying wing project.

Attachments

• 11-4-2003-9-6-caproni_campini_cc-2_in_museum-5_202.jpg
    11-4-2003-9-6-caproni_campini_cc-2_in_museum-5_202.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 347
  • pn_w4955_207.jpg
    pn_w4955_207.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 356
Excellent pictures, Parmigiano!

Secondo Campini was perfectly aware about the advantages of a turbine linked to a compressor, but he could not be faithful in this system because no engineer could really in the thirties!The first British and German gas turbines had a very bad efficiency and the first efficient ones had very high fuel consumption and a low reliability .
Campini realized that the best way to move a compressor would have been an alternative engine if you can't build a gas turbine that whitstands to thermal and chemical-oxidative stress from the combustion.
British Empire and third Reich themselves had troubles with their gas turbines, but Italy neither had their good metallurgy, for the lacking of chrome and nickel for a fireproof steel alloy.
But the most important innovation of CC1 was the after-burner idea: it had the first after-burner of the aviation history!
It didn't performed well also for the cooling troubles of its Isotta Fraschini engine but an aircraft with a conventional propeller would have suffered its same troubles.

Motorjet had not a future, but it was considered in 1930-40 the most efficient system for speeds up to 700-740 Km/h in particular for long range flights.

This idea was followed by USA ( "Jeep" project by NACA) and by Germany ( Heinkel and Junkers motorjet projects) up to 1942-43.

cheddare cheese said:
I went on one of those kiddy rides a few months back. I was told to get off, probably a good thing you as I could hear the motor making oodd whirring noises.

I can just picture that! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I doubt you will see it. Last thing I know it was on the wall in my tutor room at school, then we changed rooms and it hasnt been seen since. :( Ill have to do it again sometime :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back