Lesser Known Heros of Aerospace (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

comiso90

Senior Master Sergeant
Dec 19, 2006
FL
An amazing man, Joseph Kittenger, is one of America's lesser known pre astronauts.

Parachuted from over 100,000 feet and broke the sound barrier in a free fall.
4 combat tours in Viet Nam
POW
Record holder for worlds longest, solo balloon flight.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MkB6NkQscI

Joseph Kittinger

Hanging on my wall I have a print signed by Eric Hartman, and photos signed by Yeager and Kittenger.

Who else should I know about?

Before Martin Marietta merged with Lockheed, Joe had an office down the hall
from me. He is a great story teller and has more angles than a protractor.
He started up a flying business at Orlando execuitve Airport working, in part,
with Rosie O'Grady's Flying Circus. He would do skywriting and ballooning
and no doubt made tons of money.

As for other important aviators, the list is very long but here are some to start
you off: Scott Crossfield (died last year), Bob Champine, Mel Gough, Jack Reeder, Herb Hoover, Homer "Lee" Person, "Slick" Goodlin...

I'd like to see a movie made about his exploits.

Thanks for the tips.. I'll look them up.

It may be straying a little over 'aerospace' but I'll put in a word for Captain Dixon. Who was in charge of small arms ammunition at Woolwich Arsenal. Starved of funds to make a difference; he had to assist De Wilde and his Partner to establish their incedinary ammunition for mass-production. Only trouble - it couldn't be done - the composition of their bullets were unmeasured and hand made.
Thus the 'De Wilde' incedinary ammunition used by RAF fighters in the Battle of Britain were nothing to do with them, but purely that of Captain Dixon who covertly came to the right solution.
But, so as not to alert the Germans it was refered to as the 'De Wilde'. It' a pity that too many historians still do this rather than the Dixon bulllet!!
Interestly it was virtually 'given' to the US for their use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back