Life is Tough but it's Tougher when you're Stupid

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just glossing over these posts but it sounds like someone had a profound case of Cranial Rectal Insertion.
Been done!
IS91w5V.jpg

How long before E-cigs are inserted into an orifice? The funny part is what happens if one explodes while in butt?
I guess you're ass is history. You might die too...

On another note we used to buy Calcium Carbide at the hardware store. Carbide + water = acetylene gas. A can of water and a handful of carbide under a 55 gal drum then a firecracker. Lite the fuse a run like 7734. Think some of those drums reached 110 ft or so. . . Good Times!
Actually, I just was reading about a case where a guy got a pressurized gas tank, which he filled with oxygen and acetylene together. Though a regulator was present, initially, he removed it. I guess he figured he had a simpler oxyacetylene torch.

What he had was a bomb: He ignited the tip and the flame backtracked through the tank and exploded. It didn't help that he was in a garage that had other materials present such as gasoline, paint-thinner, and other stuff. It produced a rather respectable bang that shattered windows in a couple of houses. The entire garage was basically demolished.

The guy didn't die instantly, you'd think he'd have been vaporized, but he was largely intact, but when his friend tried to grab his arm, there wasn't really much to grab -- it was all shredded. He did die, however. He was a nice guy, from what everybody said, but it goes well with the title: "Life is hard, but it's harder when you're stupid".

I guess you're ass is history. You might die too...

Actually, I just was reading about a case where a guy got a pressurized gas tank, which he filled with oxygen and acetylene together. Though a regulator was present, initially, he removed it. I guess he figured he had a simpler oxyacetylene torch.

What he had was a bomb: He ignited the tip and the flame backtracked through the tank and exploded. It didn't help that he was in a garage that had other materials present such as gasoline, paint-thinner, and other stuff. It produced a rather respectable bang that shattered windows in a couple of houses. The entire garage was basically demolished.

The guy didn't die instantly, you'd think he'd have been vaporized, but he was largely intact, but when his friend tried to grab his arm, there wasn't really much to grab -- it was all shredded. He did die, however. He was a nice guy, from what everybody said, but it goes well with the title: "Life is hard, but it's harder when you're stupid".

Compressing acetylene is DANGEROUS! See "Acetylene not dissolved in acetone may deflagrate above about 760 mm Hg absolute and becomes unstable at elevated pressures. It may decomposed into hydrogen and carbon with explosive violence." (Acetylene) and "Acetylene becomes unstable above the pressure of 25 psi, which makes it explosive, too." (Know About Acetylene, Its Properties, and Rexarc's Acetylene Gas Monitoring System - Rexarc Blog) Also, see https://www.dmme.virginia.gov/dmm/P...airTopics/AR-oxygen-acetyleneuseandsafety.pdf.

Putting acetylene under pressure wouldn't require a torch to make it explode; it can do it all by itself.

About 30 years ago I read where a man's condo had an insect problem so he decided to deal with it thoroughly. He set off about 6 cans of insect fogger before going on vacation.

Those things used flammable gas as a propellant. BOOM!

About 30 years ago I read where a man's condo had an insect problem so he decided to deal with it thoroughly. He set off about 6 cans of insect fogger before going on vacation.

Those things used flammable gas as a propellant. BOOM!
That very same story is in the news about every year or two around here( So Cal).
Guess we have an overpopulation of geniuses.

When I lived in SoCal in the late 70's during the gasoline shortage there was a news item about a guy who was found to be keeping about 10 gallons of gasoline in his apartment. In his bedroom closet. In a plastic trash can.

As stupid as that sounds, few years back, in Melbourne, Fl, an apartment building caught fire. Turned out that one guy was moving out and asked his next door neighbor if he wanted to buy his clothes dryer. The neighbor paid him for the dryer and moved it to his apartment, but:
1. The dryer belonged to the apartment, not the renter.
2. The neighbor who bought the dryer - it was a gas dryer - did not turn the gas off when he disconnected the dryer. Hence the fire

swampyankee said:
Compressing acetylene is DANGEROUS!
It turns out, it explodes quite well -- even better than I'd have thought (and I expected it to explode like a bomb).

About 30 years ago, a coworker had an old German Shepard-Labrador mix. One day, he mentioned the dog grabbed ahold of his 12 yo daughter's hand and wouldn't let go right away. When he told me this I asked what they had been doing at the time, ie playing, running, yelling, were they near the road, etc? He said that the daughter was about to go down the stairs to the basement. I asked if the dog was afraid of going into the basement in the past, or if anything significant had changed that might have made the dog afraid of going down there. I even asked him if he might have a black widow problem, or rats, or some such. In any of these cases the dog might be trying to protect the girl. He said no, but mentioned that the dog was a rescue dog they had adopted about a year earlier, and they had no real idea if it had behavior problems previously.

A few weeks later the same thing happened again, only to a neighbor lady who was going into my coworker's basement to grab some folding chairs for the barbecue that was going on in the back yard.

With the daughter it took a minute or so yelling at the dog to get him to let go, with the neighbor lady he did not let go until they got him to move outside with her. The dog did not draw blood in either case but left bite impressions. He also growled at some of the people.

My coworker decided the dog was potentially dangerous and did not want to worry about being sued. So he had the dog put to sleep the next day.

Two weeks later the house blew up. The fire department and utilities investigators decided the natural gas explosion was probably due to a leak from the old 1940s era gas stove in the basement.

Fortunately no one was home when the house blew up.

It turned out that the dog was a rescue dog times 2. He had been a fire and rescue dog in his working life, often used to check for gas leaks (among other things) and locate people trapped in collapsed structures. The original owner (a former fireman and his handler until he was retired) had died, having no close relatives. The relatives he had did not want the dog so they dropped him off at a pound and he was put up for adoption. The pound had marked in his papers that he was a rescue dog.

Ah me, I think I will go and look at funny cat and dog pictures now.

Last edited:
t explodes quite well
The triple C-C bond is HIGHLY stressed and as such contains a VERY large amount of chemical potential energy - +800 kJ/mol (1 mol acetylene = 26 grams)
It is so unstable that even small static sparks can set it off over wide concentration ranges in air (as little as 25% to 85%) though high concentrations tend to just burn in air with a yellowish very smoky flame (streamers of pure carbon will fall like snow flakes for several minutes after ignition).
Cylinders of acetylene are also highly dangerous. Common environmental temperatures - freezing and hot temps (+120F) affect both the acetylene and acetone in the tanks. Cold temps can cause the acetone to escape with the acetylene and high temps expand both the acetylene and acetone.
The wide ignition concentration range and low activation energies mean that even tiny leaks can ignite and explode. That's why Acetylene tanks are NEVER in enclosed trucks and are kept chained to a wall or on a special torch cart carrier. Even opening the tank valve requires caution and trying to force a stuck valve....not me!

Good grief guys, I've been a professional bodyman for almost 50 years now, and a mechanic for even longer.
I've had a oxygen and acetylene tanks in my private garage , and at my place of work for all that time, you act like I'm living on borrowed time.

The only accidents I've witnessed is someone sitting something afire they didn't intend to.
I work with lots of dangerous materials and tools, just like many other blue collar workers.

You learn the hazards, and the do's and don'ts, or you don't last long.

The triple C-C bond is HIGHLY stressed and as such contains a VERY large amount of chemical potential energy - +800 kJ/mol (1 mol acetylene = 26 grams)
It is so unstable that even small static sparks can set it off over wide concentration ranges in air (as little as 25% to 85%) though high concentrations tend to just burn in air with a yellowish very smoky flame (streamers of pure carbon will fall like snow flakes for several minutes after ignition).
Cylinders of acetylene are also highly dangerous. Common environmental temperatures - freezing and hot temps (+120F) affect both the acetylene and acetone in the tanks. Cold temps can cause the acetone to escape with the acetylene and high temps expand both the acetylene and acetone.
The wide ignition concentration range and low activation energies mean that even tiny leaks can ignite and explode. That's why Acetylene tanks are NEVER in enclosed trucks and are kept chained to a wall or on a special torch cart carrier.
Yeah, I saw this video from 2007 where a plant storing the stuff had a whole bunch of tanks explode and go flying (they became projectiles).

Hadf a friend many years ago was building hot rods.
Guy came in with an aluminum gas tank that had a pinhole leak.
Welder says "here, I'll fix it" about 10 gallon tank.
Put it between his legs, touched it with his itty bitty welder
and
BANG
I caught him on the way to the ground from his stool.....................

About 30 years ago, a coworker had an old German Shepard-Labrador mix. One day, he mentioned the dog grabbed ahold of his 12 yo daughter's hand and wouldn't let ago right away. When he told me this I asked what they had been doing at the time, ie playing, running, yelling, were they near the road, etc? He said that the daughter was about to go down the stairs to the basement. I asked if the dog was afraid of going into the basement in the past, or if anything significant had changed that might have made the dog afraid of going down there. I even asked him if he might have a black widow problem, or rats, or some such. In any of these cases the dog might be trying to protect the girl. He said no, but mentioned that the dog was a rescue dog they had adopted about a year earlier, and they had no real idea if it had behavior problems previously.

A few weeks later the same thing happened again, only to a neighbor lady who was going into my coworker's basement to grab some folding chairs for the barbecue that was going on in the back yard.

With the daughter it took a minute or so yelling at the dog to get him to let go, with the neighbor lady he did not let go until they got him to move outside with her. The dog did not draw blood in either case but left bite impressions. He also growled at some of the people.

My coworker decided the dog was potentially dangerous and did not want to worry about being sued. So he had the dog put to sleep the next day.

Two weeks later the house blew up. The fire department and utilities investigators decided the natural gas explosion was probably due to a leak from the old 1940s era gas stove in the basement.

Fortunately no one was home when the house blew up.

It turned out that the dog was a rescue dog times 2. He had been a fire and rescue dog in his working life, often used to check for gas leaks (among other things) and locate people trapped in collapsed structures. The original owner (a former fireman and his handler until he was retired) had died, having no close relatives. The relatives he had did not want the dog so they dropped him off at a pound and he was put up for adoption. The pound had marked in his papers that he was a rescue dog.

Ah me, I think I will go and look at funny cat and dog pictures now.
Damn.............that's heartbreaking.

Hadf a friend many years ago was building hot rods.
Guy came in with an aluminum gas tank that had a pinhole leak.
Welder says "here, I'll fix it" about 10 gallon tank.
Put it between his legs, touched it with his itty bitty welder
and
BANG
I caught him on the way to the ground from his stool.....................
when you said gas tank, welder, and " I'll fix it" I knew where it was going next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back