Living with water

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I was never in danger, but thanks anyway. :)
Do sand bags ever really work?
Yes they do Chris. We use them to strengthen the dykes when they are saturated. Without them there would have been a whole lot more breaches.

Last edited:
glad to hear you are safe, marcel...was having flashbacks to new orleans when katrina came through. might want to keep an inflatable rubber dingy around for the future ...just in case.

Marcel, just wondering. As a precaution do people generally not keep too many items on the bottom floors so they don't lose them to flood waters?

Marcel, just wondering. As a precaution do people generally not keep too many items on the bottom floors so they don't lose them to flood waters?
Well, no, we usually don't bother. Only in houses where they know they can be flooded like the ones on the waterside in the pictures above, there they sometimes take precausions. I myself don't do not bother. I live about 2 km from the water, many dykes in between, so I do not suspect to be flooded soon.
When I lived in Wageningen, there were houses that were flooded every year. So the lower level usually was a garage. People usually drove their cars to higher ground as soon as the water started to rise and just waited for it to go down again. Some-one told me it was a good opportunity to tidy up the garage :)
But it's usually not so extreme as last week. We usually can handle the water quite well. This time it was a coincidence with a storm from the north-west. This doesn't happen every year. Usually the water only floods the parts of land that are meant to be flooded.

Last edited:
Buildings usually are made of bricks and concrete. Yes some get mold and so.But as I said quite rarely houses get flooded. The ones in Wageningen were build with this knowledge, so that's why they constructed it that way, Would not want to live there myself if I'm honest. My house is nice and dry and so are most houses here in the Netherlands.

Was back at the little harbour which you can see in the first pic. This is what it looks like now:

Attachments

• IMG_8541.jpg
    IMG_8541.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 87
I have family in Friesland (Dokkum) and Groningen, My Mom was born in Groningen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back