Living with water

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Marcel

rotartsinimdA
Staff
Admin
Mod
Sep 19, 2006
Dordrecht
www.redbeatband.nl
The Netherlands is not called "The lowlands" for nothing. My house is about 2 m lower than the sea surface. Many people asked me what it's like to live below the sea level. No we hardly notice it. Many centuries of fighting the water gave the dutch much expertise in keeping the water out and we do a good job. We have a sophisticated system of canals, dykes, pumps and polders to manage the water. Hardly ever do we get problems, only rarely, when circumstances work against us.

Like today. We got a storm from the north-west, about 9-10 Beaufort. This pushes the water of the North-sea against our coast, so the sea is dramatically higher. This makes it very difficult to pump the water out as we have to pump 2-3 meters higher than normal. This combined with heavy rain all over Europe (we are at the receiving end of a few big European rivers, like the Rhine and the Waal) brings our system to a grinding halt. Water in the rivers start tor rise and we have to flood some polders to keep it slightly lower. Only our last line of defense, the river dykes will keep us save, but only just.
But no, we're not worried about that, we're used to it. Like many of my fellow countrymen, I went out on my bike against the wind this afternoon to see the high water.

I live in Dordrecht, a city surrounded by big rivers. About 2 km south of me flows the Merwede river. That's where I took this pictures with my iPhone:

1 little harbour close to my house. You see the path were pedestrians can walk along the water, totally flooded
IMG_0280.jpg

2. I wanted to cycle over this road :(
IMG_0282.jpg

3. Other part of the road, made have a little movie here where you can see the water creeping up the road, maybe I'll upload that later. The water was still rising at this time.
IMG_0292.jpg

4. See how the road on the left is considerably lower than the water on the right. This is our river dyke, the one that keeps the water out.
IMG_0295.jpg

5. More flooding, just outside of the dyke
IMG_0299.jpg

6. Another little harbour, the boat is almost on the land..
IMG_0302.jpg

7. Water difference, the piece of land in between is the "Summer dyke", which is already overflooded
IMG_0326.jpg

8. Here the water flows over the summerdyke. When I was there it started 2 streams, when I left, 15 minutes later, there were 5. The place I'm standing when taking the picture was under water within an hour.
IMG_0315.jpg

IMG_0317.JPG

Last edited:
No worries Rochie, I think we'll hold out. It'll be better after midnight and the water will drop.
Could not upload the .mov file of the rising water :( Anyone know how to do that?

Last edited:
:laughing3:

Good to hear y'all aren't all that worried, just play it safe...just when you think you've got Mother Nature figured out, she tends to show you how much you really don't know.

Still got dry feet, so nothing happened here. However in the north they have bigger problems. In Friesland the population of a small island had to evacuate because the dyk was breached over 200 meters. Somewere else they evacuated a 1000 people because the dyk of the ems-canal is unreliable and can be breached anytime.

edit:
See below the promised video of the rising water. You can see how fast it is rising.
View attachment IMG_0291.mov

Last edited:
Water still rising. Predictions are that it will stay high until Sunday. This gives the dykes time to be saturated and breaching will become more likely. I'll be in the city this afternoon to buy some paint for my model, so I can make some photo's there. There are no dykes there, so it'll be bad.

Hope everything turns out safe Marcel, Keep your decals dry :lol:
Huh, how do I can I stick them on the model if I keep them dry? :lol:

Don't worry about me guys, if the dyk breaches there are still two more to keep me dry before it reaches my house. This unlike this house in the city center:
window.JPG

You can see where the water was at it highest at midnight. Water seems to have dropped 50cm or so.

Here you can see how high the waterfront was at midnight. All kinds of stuff washed up shore and stayed there when the water retreated:
kade.JPG

Another picture, a door in the water:
IMG_0346.JPG

A view of our historic port, Wolwevershaven:
IMG_0342.JPG

Sandbags to keep the water out:
IMG_0334.JPG

Grafitty in the water:
grafity.JPG

Sandbags on the other side of the river, trying to protect the village of Zwijndrecht. It didn't work as the waterfront of the village has been flooded:
IMG_0335.JPG

Last edited:
I have heard that the women in The Netherlands are very tall. Now I know why. So they can keep their head above water.

They are? My wife is around 1m70, is that tall?

Water is dropping fast now. Aparently the doors could open en we could release water to the Waddenzee. So it's danger is gone. Still, the province of Groningen looks like this:
m1fz46oavbsl_396.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back