Lock On:Modern Air Combat

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

i can already land and takeoff a F15 on a small road, you know, where farmers drive their tractors to the field.. ( if you hit the field,.. you crash :( )

crimson skies is in no way a simulator, its a total 100% game. as for lock-on, I have it and well.. it's not near as good as it's cracked up to be. not many options.. the entire menu is just a bunch of pictures of the planes and big "FLY NOW!" buttons.. and most of the controls wouldnt work for me for some reason.. none of the weapons would ever fire. overall i give lock-on a big thumbs down. as for WWII simulators, go for Fighter Ace 2 (it comes free with combat flight simulator 2) its fairly simple to learn, but (it can be set to be) very realistic. the graphics arent incredible but its a perfect compromise between a realistic sim and great gameplay.

I've never had a problem with the controls in LOMAC, and I use a Saitek X45. Everything flies and shoots just fine. The options are there, it's just that they're broken down into many subcategories. It's not the most user-friendly interface I've ever seen in a game, but there are plenty of options. What exactly were you looking for?

My one big complaint would be the lack of maps, and it would be nice to be able to fly every fighter in the encyclopedia, but overall I think it's an awesome game.

I own Lock-On myself, i played it like twice; couldn't get into it

It had alot of potential i thought; but the controls were too confusing. It would have been better if they made a control system similar to that in F-22 Lightning.

with the flaming cliffs 2 there's a very involved mission builder toolkit update, along with new vehicle/helicopter models which look great in close up detail. add in the new aircraft models mods and it's a seriously impressive game-sim.
technical qualities of respective air-air missiles and avionics was painstakingly researched, references discussed at the ED site and is very well done considering inherent program limitations, Eagle Development went the full hog on that version, which is DCS Blackshark compatable in coop.

if you want real flight sim performance in a combat sim though, the DCS series (Blackshark, A-10), are the ones to get. If you want to fly Flankers and Eagles or Fulcrums then Lomac: FC2 is a must have, I can't go back to original Lomac now even though it's got the Crimea detailed with ground objects (FC2 changes it for detailing northern Georgia/South Ossetia). The aircraft/weapon characteristics are just so much better in FC2 and more accurate, especially the Russian radars, original Lomac was missing some data on their display, modes, etc. so it's more accurate in FC2.
Got some new weapons too, a bunch of other refinements, deleted ones that were never in reality equipped to forces, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back