Lockheed F-94A

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

otftch

Staff Sergeant
Dec 8, 2006
Franklinton,NC
Here's my 1/72 Lockheed F-94A conversion.It took me a 1/72 Emhar kit and two Haswgawa T-33 kits to convert this.The whole nose from the canopy forward is laminated plastic,cut,filed and filled. Took me about four months to complete.
Ed

Attachments

• DSCF1465.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCF1466.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCF1467.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCF1468.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCF1469.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 71
Nice job
Funnily enough, it reminds me of a recent thread we had concerning biplanes vs modern jets and who would win. I seem to recall an account of an F-94 shooting down a 'bedcheck charlie' in Korea. The north would send one of these over US-held airfields at night and shoot up comparatively expensive military aircraft for the loss, should it occur, of one extremely cheap biplane.

An F-94 managed to splash one of them by lowering his airspeed, landing gear, flaps and anything else that was lowerable. Unfortunately, the recoil of his own guns stalled the aircraft and he too, crashed, losing his life in the process.

One of my favorite aircraft, but the F-94C.

Here's some info from the site ACIG

The first kill scored by F-94 was quite an obscure one. On 24 May 1951, a C-119 took off from Tachikawa AB, near Tokyo, with a crew of three and two US Army passengers. Shortly after take-off, there was a technical malfunction and the pilot ordered the crew and the passengers to bail out, radioing the base about his intentions. Two F-94Bs were scrambled to intercept the now uncontrollable transport aircraft, as it turned around on its own and headed back towards Tokyo.

Fully expecting the plane to crash into the nearest mountain, the two F-94-pilots followed the pilot-less C-119 for two and a half hours, while it finally crossed the coast and flew out over the Sea of Japan. Finally, the two F-94s were ordered to shot it down. After "many shots", the C-119 caught fire and crashed into the sea.

Later in the same year, the F-94As of the 68th FIS were briefly deployed to Korea. Concerned that their precious airborne radars might fall into enemy hands should one of the Starfires fall behind the enemy lines, the USAF pulled them out prematurely - and the type thus never came into position to challenge MiGs in the night skies over Northern Korea.

After the unit was re-equipped with F-94Bs, in 9152 the 319th FIS was deployed to Suwon, but still with orders not to fly over enemy territory. Despite immense problems with maintenance, with tremendous support from Hughes Company, the F-94 and its airborne radar eventually proved a success.

The restriction on use of F-94s in combat was lifted only in early 1953. The 319th FIS did not wait for long to cross its swords with opponent: on 30 January an F-94B flown by Capt. Benjamin L. Fithian and radar operator Lt. R. S. Lyons, was launched to intercept an intruding Lavochking La-9 fighter, never seen by friendly forces, but identified by interception of enemy communication. Fithian and Lyons established radar contact, approached, extended air brakes to stay behind their slow target, and attacked, using the radar scope only. Strikes from their machine-guns set the La-9 afire and sent it spinning into the sea.

By the end of the war, the F-94s in Korea claimed three additional kills - including a Polikarpov Po-2, on 3 May 1953; a MiG-15, on 10 May 1953. The last kill, reportedly against a MiG-15, should have been scored by Col. Robert V. McHale, CO 319th FIS, and his radar operator, Capt. Samuel Hoster, on 7 June 1953, at 22:45hr in the evening, near Namsi-dong. Supposedly, McHale and Hoster flew their F-94 "51-5503" through their slow-flying target, killing themselves and their opponent in the process. This claim was never officially credited, however, and it appears that no opponent was shot down at all during that engagement.

Lockheed F-94 Starfire

Fantastic! I have always wanted to build the Starfire, but am not willing to make your scratchbuild leap. Great model!

Where did you get your decals? And can you give us insight into your nose section decals/painting?

The decals came from my spares and the long flash came from the Emhar kit. I modified it to match a photo from a friend who worked on the real one.The "LOCKHEED F 94" came from the Emhar kit with the "C" cut off.The origional photo is in black and white and shows the radome lighter than the silver of the aircraft.He remembered it as brown so I used radome tan.Most of the early fiberglass radomes were this color.Most other photos i've seen of the "A" and "B" model show the radome as dark,probably black.I am currently working on some tiny black teardrops for the guns on the lower nose which on the "A" were not very prominent.The dark green on the anti-glare in the photos looks darker than it is.Compare it to the wing walks. Thats the trouble with photos.Sometimes they lie.
Ed

Very nice!

Our sister flight at USAF Basic Training had an early model F-94 parked in front of it (We had and F-84F). Spent a lot of time, standing at attention, looking at that F-94!

The building next to us had a less-desireable "mascot" aircraft: A Quail decoy/drone...

CD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back