Long range Luftwaffe bomber: attack on the USA

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

From Wikipedia:

Bombardment of Ellwood
Main article: Bombardment of Ellwood
The United States continent was first shelled by the Axis on February 23, 1942, when the Japanese submarine I-17 attacked the Ellwood Oil Field west of Goleta, near Santa Barbara, California. Although only a pumphouse and catwalk at one oil well were damaged, I-17 captain Nishino Kozo radioed Tokyo that he had left Santa Barbara in flames. No casualties were reported and the total cost of the damage was officially estimated at approximately $500–1,000.[37] News of the shelling triggered an invasion scare along the West Coast.[38]

Wouldn't any warrior code somewhat disparage lying to one's superiors about damage to the enemy? How does this fit with Bushido?

Wouldn't any warrior code somewhat disparage lying to one's superiors about damage to the enemy? How does this fit with Bushido?
Telling the truth to his superiors that the mission was an utter failure would have had him disgraced.
Also, very VERY few IJN/IJA officers were qualified as Samurai, to which the code of Bushido (and the eight virtues) would be strictly adhered to.
The rest just used Bushido as a facade when it suited them.

Yeah, never let facts get in the way of a good story :)

USN Loon missle
launch%20pic.jpg

This was in 1947(?) and the USN made no attempt to fire these from underwater. In fact even the 1950s Regulus and Regulus II required the submarine to surface to launch.

The IJN was working on a submarine catapult-launched version of the Yokosuka MXY7, the Model 43A Ko powered by an Ne-20 turbojet.

I don't recall if it was intended for the I-400 class subs or the smaller Type B1 or Type AM class.

Yeah, never let facts get in the way of a good story :)

USN Loon missle
View attachment 578458

This was in 1947(?) and the USN made no attempt to fire these from underwater. In fact even the 1950s Regulus and Regulus II required the submarine to surface to launch.
Those pulse jets don't do too well under water though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back