Louis Blériot's first flight across the Channel recreated 100 years on

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

v2

Captain
Nov 9, 2005
Cracow

Attachments

• b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 200
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 209
..there will be at least three attempts to replicate the feat today..the first one already came across this morning at dawn and took longer than the original flight 100 years ago (its pretty windy here today!)

Anyone know what engine the re-enactment flight aircraft had in it?
The original 1909 job was a 3 cylinder Anzani "fan" (describes the configuration) engine.

Thanks.

Amazing how far technology has come in the last 100 years. Makes me sit back and wonder what feats of ours they'll be recreating 100 years from now.

Anyone know what engine the re-enactment flight aircraft had in it?
The original 1909 job was a 3 cylinder Anzani "fan" (describes the configuration) engine.

Thanks.

I know this guy Mikael Carlson who was at Duxford FL and I have met him a couple of times elsewhere uses an original three potter Anzani rotary engine that he rebuilt himself.
Read this Attempt to recreate Louis Bleriot's Channel crossing grounded - Telegraph

I find this is a typical French way of doing things Mikael is an expert with the Bleriot's wing warping system (part of his display is to put both hands above his head and wave to the crowd) and has more hours flying Bleriots than anyone around but because he's a Swede the French pulled a fast one on him .

Attachments

• Bleriot.JPG
    Bleriot.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 184
to be fair the original flight was made at dawn, so the French were doing no more than replicate that - for some reason the Swede had elected to wait until early evening - probably to coincide with the fireworks and the crowds..

I know this guy Mikael Carlson who was at Duxford FL and I have met him a couple of times elsewhere uses an original three potter Anzani rotary engine that he rebuilt himself.
Read this Attempt to recreate Louis Bleriot's Channel crossing grounded - Telegraph

Thanks for that - it's a 3 cylinder radial he's got there rather than the "fan" configuration, but quite probably it's no more powerful. There was a Bleriot replica built in Tasmania which used the same 3 cyl Anzani radial type engine. They had real problems in trying to control it in the air, however.

As an aside, I wonder if there was a convenient rain shower through which the reenactment 'plane could fly, in order to emulate Bleriot's effort when his engine was overheating? :lol:

That's an awesome feat. Great post V2. We've really gone a long way from going only a 100 kilometers an hour to twice the speed of sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back