Lt. Shuford Alexander - MTO P-39 and P-47 Pilot 350th Fighter Group

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ozhawk40

Master Sergeant
Hi

In researching for the MTO Group Build, I discovered that the pilot of the plane I was modelling had produced an Oral History for the University of North Texas, and had an interesting story to tell about his time with the USAAF , 346th Fighter Squadron, 350th Fighter Group. He was shot down, became a POW, escaped, and spend several months behind enemy lines in Italy.

I have sought and received permission from the University and the pilot to post this Oral History here, so enjoy.

cheers

Peter :D

Attachments

• Shuford Oral History part 1.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 265
  • Shuford Oral History part 2.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 220
  • Shuford Oral History part 3.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 193
Hi

In researching for the MTO Group Build, I discovered that the pilot of the plane I was modelling had produced an Oral History for the University of North Texas, and had an interesting story to tell about his time with the USAAF , 346th Fighter Squadron, 350th Fighter Group. He was shot down, became a POW, escaped, and spend several months behind enemy lines in Italy.

I have sought and received permission from the University and the pilot to post this Oral History here, so enjoy.

cheers

Peter :D

Can you post a picture of your model? Al Alexander is my great uncle.

Will do. I say I'm a modeler and I try and build to scale but some of my work can be a little ruff around the edges.

We're all rough around the edges, Park. Most of us have just gotten back into the game after a few decades hiatus! :) Welcome to the forum and post away!

Will do. I say I'm a modeler and I try and build to scale but some of my work can be a little ruff around the edges.

Oh yes. What Njaco (Chris) says. We are all rough, so you will fit in well!:rolleyes: :lol::lol: Anyway there are a lots of members at different skill levels, and it doesn't matter where you are now. You do not have to be an 'expert' to post and your contributions will be welcome.

Cheers

Peter

Last edited:
We're all rough around the edges, Park. Most of us have just gotten back into the game after a few decades hiatus! :) Welcome to the forum and post away!

That what I have done. In the 70's I built scores of plastic and a few rubber powered balsa airplanes. Then about three years ago I put my modeling hat back on and love it ! I enjoy balsa construction. Lately I've built a J-3, P-38, C-150 and currently building a B-17, all flying models.

Attachments

• DSC03050.JPG
    DSC03050.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 225
  • DSC03628.JPG
    DSC03628.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 235
  • DSC04246.JPG
    DSC04246.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 228
  • DSC04076.JPG
    DSC04076.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 214
Wow Park, those are great! The P-38 is my favorite of the bunch, but all three are very good. They look like they would fly pretty well also. It would be great to see progress on the B-17. What are you using to power the B-17 - four electric motors? Now that would be seriously high on the "cool" scale! 8)

There are a couple a balsa aficionados around on the forum also. Here's a build of one from Charles, for example, but I'm sure there would be others.

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/2-pacific-theater-operations/nakajima-a6m2-n-rufe-yokohama-kokutai-group-build-18536.html

If you have the time, create a new thread (in the area linked below) for the B-17, and show us how you are going from time to time. That would be appreciated by more than a few, I'm sure.

Start to Finish Builds - Aircraft of World War II - Warbird Forums

Cheers

Peter

Ozhawk40... I'm Al's grandson. I'm curious what other information you found regarding my grandfather. I actually have the cassette tapes for those UNT interviews... along with everything else from his war time experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back