Luftwaffe fighter training

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Brunner

Airman 1st Class
Mar 16, 2005
Warszawa
Hello Guys!

I wonder if you could help me.

I am looking for detailed information concerning the fighter pilot training in Luftwaffe during ww2. I am interested in phases of training (basics, manouvers, advanced training), planes that were used in each phase and airfields that were utilised for that purpose.
I need a very good and as detailed as possible data.

Thanks in advance.

This website will give you a good idea of what schools were where.

The Luftwaffe, 1933-45

As for training I'm gonna go through my books and see if I can find anything. I do know that towards the end there wasn't much. Some pilots were being sent to the front with only 30 hours on the Bf 109, some less.

This will get you started.

Luftwaffe training organization and certification in 1938.

The Luftwaffe training regime flew a large variety of aircraft. It is not possible to identify one type as the standard trainer although some were more common than others. they flew everything from FW44, T-6 Texans, to Arado 96's.

Flying certificates went from A license thru C license with each category having some subcategories.

Basic Certification was A1. This qualified the pilot to operate single passenger aircraft single engine up to 500Kg in weight.

A student needed 30 hours flying experience, demonstrate an aerobatic loop, three successful landings without error. A1 certification also required a 300Km triangular course be completed at an altitude up to 2000 meters.

A2 certification allowed an A1 certified pilot to operate a 2 passenger aircraft of the same class.

B1 certification was the next step and qualified the pilot to fly single engine, 1-3 passenger aircraft up to 2500Kg. The perquisite was the pilot had to complete a 600Km triangular course at 3000 meters in nine hours or less.

B1 training then required 50 hours in B1 aircraft and altitude training up to 4500 meters. To get the certification, a pilot had to demonstrate three precision landings, two night landings, and a night flight of at least 30 minutes.

B2 certification required 6000km experience of which 3000km had to be in B1 class aircraft. 50 more hours of training were required and the student must conduct three precision night landings to qualify for the rating. B2 certification allowed the pilot to operate 4-6 passenger single engine aircraft up to 2500Kg

C1/C2 rating was reserved for pilots operating large multi-engine aircraft. To start C1 training, a pilot needed 20000Km flown in B class aircraft, 6000Km of which he was the Pilot in Command. C1 course required 30 hours of flight time and the student to display a general knowledge of aircraft communications systems. For C2 certification the regiment required another 30 hours of flight time and the pilot demonstrate an 800km triangular course, a night flight of 200Km, and two flights with one engine shut down.

To recieve a Luftwaffe special certification, a pilot had to have completed 50000Km and posses the KI and KII aerobatic licenses. The KI and KII could be issued after 50 and 100 hours of flight time upon demonstration of abilities in A to C aircraft classes.

To recieve instrument flight training, a pilot had to be C1 certified and have a Luftwaffe special certification. Insturment training was conducted in such aircraft as the Go 145 and Ju52 modified with blacked over canopies.

All combat and tactical training was conducted by the gaining units under their own training regiment.

Hope this helps!

Crumpp

Crumpp do you have something/documentation that covers the 1944 year as this is when my cousin was training in flying Schule 8 I believe before his transfer flying Fw 190A-8's in combat group Süd and then finally into II./JG 301

many thanks

Erich ~

Flyboy, something doesn't jive?

Did a quick check and found this:

Theo Osterkamp: Information and Much More from Answers.com

"Between the two World Wars Osterkamp was involved in the formation of the new Luftwaffe, amongst other things by setting up Jagdfliegerschule 1."

and in Luftwaffe Colours: Birth of the Luftwaffe Fighter Force by Eric Mombeek on page 85 there is a picture with the caption," the first intake ("Lehrgang") of trainee Lufteaffe pilots at Jagdfliegreschule 1 at Werneuchen with their commander, Theo Osterkamp in the centre...."

Hope this helps.

Flyboy, something doesn't jive?

Did a quick check and found this:

Theo Osterkamp: Information and Much More from Answers.com

"Between the two World Wars Osterkamp was involved in the formation of the new Luftwaffe, amongst other things by setting up Jagdfliegerschule 1."

and in Luftwaffe Colours: Birth of the Luftwaffe Fighter Force by Eric Mombeek on page 85 there is a picture with the caption," the first intake ("Lehrgang") of trainee Lufteaffe pilots at Jagdfliegreschule 1 at Werneuchen with their commander, Theo Osterkamp in the centre...."

Hope this helps.

That link shows Unkle Theo going to JG 51 in September 39, perhaps TDY? The first link shows him leaving Jagdfliegreschule 1 in November 39. It looks like the old man wanted one more taste of battle which he got.

Ok, I understand. :) Several "old hats" went to war with the Luftwaffe, I believe. I believe after getting one or two victories for himself , Osterkamp was made 'Kanalkampffuhrer' during BoB. (I think I spelled that wrong!)

Crumpp do you have something/documentation that covers the 1944 year as this is when my cousin was training in flying Schule 8 I believe before his transfer flying Fw 190A-8's in combat group Süd and then finally into II./JG 301

I have a 796 page document covering the entire Luftwaffe training program from conceptualization to the end. If you want a copy, let me know!

All the best,

Crumpp

Flyboy, I guess records being what they were, who knows? Found this...

Who's who

Theodor Osterkamp

Oberst 1.10.39,
GenMaj 19.7.40,
GenLt 1.8.42

1.11.37 - 31.8.39 Kommandeur der Jagdfliegerschule Werneuchen*
1.9.39 - 21.7.40 Geschwaderkommodore JG51
22.7.40 - 31.12.40 Jafü 1
1.1.41 - 17.7.41 Jafü 2
18.7.41 - 31.3.42 Fliegerführer Afrika**
1.4.42 - 7.7.42 Führerreserve OKL
8.7.42 - 2.11.42 Höherer Flieger-Ausbildungs-Kommandeur 3, Berlin
3.11.42 - 25.2.43 Höherer Flieger-Ausbildungs-Kommandeur 17, Wien
25.2.43 - 11.3.43 Offizier z.b.V. des RLM/ObdL
12.3.43 - 12.9.43 zur Verfügung des Luftflotte 2
13.9.43 - 28.8.44 Kommandiert zur Inspektion der Bodenorganisation West der Lw/RLM
9.3.44 - 6.12.44 im Luftwaffen-Kurlazarett Oberschreiberau-Rupprechtssteg
29.8.44 - 31.12.44 zur Verfügung der Flieger-Ersatz-Division

* also Fliegerhorst-Kommandant Werneuchen

* also Kommandeur IV./JG132, 1.4.38 - 1.9.38

** also Kommandeur des Luftgaustabes z.b.V. Afrika

Users who are viewing this thread

Back