Luftwaffe Markings and Colors

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My Colours as done on my Ju88

RLM 70 XF27 Black Green
RLM 71 XF13 JA Army green 2 Parts and XF61 Dark Green 1 Part
RLM 65 XF23 Light Blue 1 Part XF 2 White 1 Part

Wow, that looks great. You have me thinking I may just try the Tamiya paints after all. I do like using them. Guess we'll see what the hobby shop in Campbell River carries when I get there next.

Thanks for the peek at your JU-88. Very nice work.

Leif

Wow, Wayne. That's incredible. I didn't get to look through every page yet, but the level of detail in your work is stunning.

I really like those colors. Your paint mixture for the Tamiya paints is slightly different than I've seen elsewhere, but I really think I'm going to follow your lead. Though I know my build is going to be pretty amateurish.

Leif

Wow, Wayne. That's incredible. I didn't get to look through every page yet, but the level of detail in your work is stunning.

I really like those colors. Your paint mixture for the Tamiya paints is slightly different than I've seen elsewhere, but I really think I'm going to follow your lead. Though I know my build is going to be pretty amateurish.

Leif

Thanks Leif, I'm rather proud of how it turned out...only one problem though.... it is too bl**dy big to put anywhere!
RLM70 and 71 were both dark colours and did not have a high contrast between them, often modellers make RLM 71 too light and do create a high contrast to make them obviously more different which is not correct.

Love my luftwaffe...AND to make you happy love my Japanese Aircraft too.....especially the Zero!!:D:D

Last edited:
Love my luftwaffe...AND to make you happy love my Japanese Aircraft too.....especially the Zero!!:D:D

Ha! Yes, I always liked the Japanese planes as well. My family is planning a trip to Hawaii at the end of the year. We are staying on Oahu, and by coincidence, we will be there for the 70th anniversay of the Pearl Harbor bombing. I have never been before, so I was doing some travel research, and recently discovered that they have an aviation museum on Ford Island. Not only that, but I heard they even have a Zero there! In any case, I am looking forward to seeing some WWII aircraft in person, and taking many pictures.

If they do have a Zero there... maybe I'll be taking some pictures with a view to building a Zero model one day. Hmmm... I wonder... someone must have posted pictures here already from this museum. Maybe I'll search.

Btw... I went out and bought the Tamiya colors I need to replicate your formulas for RLM 65, 70, and 71. The only thing I haven't quite decided is if I want to do the straight standard colors, or also later apply the winter camo white over them. I've pretty much decided on an Eastern Front scheme in either case.

Leif

Last edited:
Nice thing about the winter scheme - you don't have to decide right away as the white was a thin wash that went over the factory camo. A couple of winter schemes done here. Wayne did a 109 and I did a 110.

Nice thing about the winter scheme - you don't have to decide right away as the white was a thin wash that went over the factory camo. A couple of winter schemes done here. Wayne did a 109 and I did a 110.

Yea, I think I'm going to do the standard scheme, then the winter scheme can always be modification later on.

Question though... was the 'white wash' of a nature that could be removed after winter months, or was it something that would have required painting over top of again?

Leif

The white paint for the winter camo schemes , was removable one. It was applied on the summer camo scheme.Therefore most of German LF planes with the winter paint on looked like wearing a shabby overcoat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back