Luftwaffe paint.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

OK. So, tomorrow I will go to the shop. It is 3.30 (I called) For a jar. Since I have a gift certificate and some of my own money I will by 12 paints. The 10 RLM's, Interior Green and probably just a testors enamel yellow... so that comes out to 39.60. Without our darn 7% tax. Then I have 30 dollars and 40 cents to buy sandpaper and possibly a self healing mat.

:D Here is the shops website.

Hobby Shop, Model Train Sets | Maplewood, NJ

You can save a couple of Dollars by mixing your own Interior Green Harrison. A dark green or olive drab camouflage green, with yellow added, will give a good representation of the colour, and can be altered to simulate the varying shades, and also the Bronze Green used on some US aircraft interiors. Just a thought.
Apart from a few basic Luftwaffe or RAF colours, I rarely buy dedicated 'camouflage' colour paints, prefering to mix my own to suit the scale, period, wear and tear etc. I mainly have a stock of the basic colours, black, white, red, yellow, blue,etc, plus some of the 'side' shades, for example a 'rust' type of red, which can be used with other colours to make varying shades of camouflage red-browns, rust, burnt steel etc etc.

Thanks Terry! Wojtek, was telling me though it comes in handy. When I go tomorrow I'll rethink, because I don't know if they'll even have all of them :D

Harrison,

If you have the time, would you check out their stock of Gunze Sangyo paints? I'm trying to fing the Tire Black Acrylic and can not find it ANYWHERE.

Dwight, if you can't get Tyre Black, mix as required for shade/colour. If you want a slight sheen to the finished 'tyre' then satin black can be used, although I tend to use matt black, with a semi-matt clear coat to finish. Here's the method I use.
Add a couple of spots of matt white to the black, to produce a very dark grey, and then a spot or two of dark earth or tan, again matt paint. This produces a nice 'rubber' effect and can, of course, be varied by the addition or subtraction of the above colours. The tread area can be painted or drybrushed as required, in a varying shade, to simulate any dust/mud etc, depending on the area in which the model is being depicted.
Having basic colours 'in stock' for mixing saves buying a tin/bottle of paint just for one relatively small job, which can 'go off' due to infrequent use.

Problem solved! I just got 3 bottles of GS Aqeuos Tire Black and 1 bottle of Steel. :) Right after you posted that, I found a hobby shop in the UK that had them. They just arrived today! :)

Hells teeth! That was bl**dy quick! I'm still waiting for something ordered two weeks ago, within the UK! Darned British Postal strikes!

I was surprised as well. I didn't expect it for at least another week, and probably longer. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back